Has anyone crossed a Blue Orpington Rooster with Buff Orpington Hens

AmericanMom

Songster
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Oregon
What are your results? What can I expect to see from the mix, and if I then take the pullets and breed them back to the sire would that be acceptable and give me a truer Blue Orpington?

I have 13 Eggs in the Incubator, I spent three days back and forth to the coop every 30-45 min to check which nesting boxes my Buffs were using, I know that 4/5 of my Buffs breed with the Blue Orp rooster..

I sat EE eggs for a buyer and thought it might be the perfect time to also set some of my Orpington eggs as I would like to get a breeding program started with just them next spring.

Also, I have a few questions as to whether our Blue Orp is a true blue or a mix of something else, although he is magnificent to us, I am just learning of the different breeds and trying to get breeding pens figured out for next year. Pardon my ignorance but figured this was the best place to find the answers to my questions..

He is about 9-10 months old

Last edited:
I would love to see pictures of this! I have done a blue Plymouth Rock/buff Orpington cross, and those were two-toned blue and yellow, very pretty. I would imagine the pure Orpington cross would turn out somewhat similar.

I would love to see pictures of this! I have done a blue Plymouth Rock/buff Orpington cross, and those were two-toned blue and yellow, very pretty. I would imagine the pure Orpington cross would turn out somewhat similar.

This is the result of a Blue/Australorp...

Also, I have a few questions as to whether our Blue Orp is a true blue or a mix of something else, although he is magnificent to us, I am just learning of the different breeds and trying to get breeding pens figured out for next year. Pardon my ignorance but figured this was the best place to find the answers to my questions..

He is about 9-10 months old

How is his lacing? The picture makes him look to have little or poor lacing. He also seems to have some off coloring in his hackles, saddle and wingbow.

How is his lacing? The picture makes him look to have little or poor lacing. He also seems to have some off coloring in his hackles, saddle and wingbow.

Yes has some brown on is saddle feathers, which threw me.. am thinking at some point in his line his gene's are not pure...

I'm new to breeding (other then just barnyard mutts) and don't know what his lacing is??
hu.gif

What are your results? What can I expect to see from the mix, and if I then take the pullets and breed them back to the sire would that be acceptable and give me a truer Blue Orpington?
[/URL]

I know this thread is old but I'm wondering the same thing. I have a blue orp roo given to me by my sister in law but have had no luck finding any hens. The only reason I got him was because she was supposed to have three pullets and ended up with three roosters. I have him in with my buff girls but I would love to have all blue.

This is what our blue Orpington looked like...(had to switch him out for a blue splash Ameracauna because the blue orpington was too agressive and attacked my kids, he has since become chicken dinner) but we incubated some of his eggs that were mixed with EE hens and the rusults were mostly grey/black looking chicks who grew into several grey and black ROOSTERS! (Seven of the eight that hatched were Roos!) many with EE beards.... so now I'm trying to breed the black rooster pictured with a splash Amarucana in hopes of getting some blue hens of any sort, but I'd love a blue hen with a beard!!! Would be so cute! Any suggestions welcome! The black and grey roosters are on their way to chicken dinner ranch soon, so want to get some of their genes before that happens!

Can't seem to swap the photos around....the last two are the chick (obviously) and the black and grey roosters are those chicks grown up a bit...not fully

The splash rooster is the one we swapped for the agressive blue Orpington...

Last edited:
I know this thread is old but I'm wondering the same thing. I have a blue orp roo given to me by my sister in law but have had no luck finding any hens. The only reason I got him was because she was supposed to have three pullets and ended up with three roosters. I have him in with my buff girls but I would love to have all blue.

I have not been able to get the true coloring but I have been satisfied with what I have gotten.. Best look is crossing the Jersey Giants with the Blue Orp roo..

Crossing her back has given me a lot of smoky blue chicks but none are pure looking but serve my backyard needs

This is what our blue Orpington looked like...(had to switch him out for a blue splash Ameracauna because the blue orpington was too agressive and attacked my kids, he has since become chicken dinner) but we incubated some of his eggs that were mixed with EE hens and the rusults were mostly grey/black looking chicks who grew into several grey and black ROOSTERS! (Seven of the eight that hatched were Roos!) many with EE beards.... so now I'm trying to breed the black rooster pictured with a splash Amarucana in hopes of getting some blue hens of any sort, but I'd love a blue hen with a beard!!! Would be so cute! Any suggestions welcome! The black and grey roosters are on their way to chicken dinner ranch soon, so want to get some of their genes before that happens!

NICE!!! We kept of of our EE/Blue offspring

Out of him and his sire we have gotten some neat looking chicks.. One I will try and get a picture of later looks like a Blue Americauna (sp) Sometimes the barnyard mixes are better because you never know the color combinations you might get

Here are the two I have trapped in the "LOVE COOP"

He's mostly black, but has a lot of brown/red on his neck. (His dad was a pure blue Orpington and mom was an tan colored EE)

She is a pure splash Ameracauna (although dirty and needs a bath!...note brownish tan dirt on her) becasue she is a "favorite" of the Roo she was with before....

So my questions are:

will these two have grey (blue) chicks? (I'm hoping so!!! What are theodds???)

And how long before the old roosters genes aren't in her system? (Old rooster is a splash,...do you get spalsh if you breed a splash with a splash?)

I just want hens with grey colors!!!

Back
Top Bottom