Has anyone crossed.......

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
a Welsummer roo with a Jersey Giant hen?

This is one I want to experiment with next spring.
My Welsummer roo is a nice big fella, as big as my Jersey Giant hens.
I am dispatching my Jersey Giant roos to the freezer this fall. They were an "oops" in my shipment and I don't want them. And any roos that hatch out from my Welsummer/JG cross I plan to put in the freezer.
Then I expect the pullets from that to lay a dark, large egg. Though not as dark as a Wellie but maybe larger.
Just wondered if anyone had done this and what your egg laying result from it was.
hu.gif

I guess I will have to as it seems no one tries out crossing some of these breeds.
I know pure breeds are great for what they are used for but I want to keep only certain roos for my pure lines but would like to keep some laying hens and I want to keep those on a turn over basis.
I am definitely keeping my Welsummer roo. I will always be trying to keep the Wellie pullets and all the roos we hatch will either go into the freezer or be sold. I have no desire to keep a line of Jersey Giants going and plan to breed my Wellie roo to those large hens to produce a few egg layers each year. All roos hatched from that with be dispatched.
We are more about the eggs than the meat but want nothing to go to waste, if we can help it.
I have other roos on the place but the Wellie looks to be my better meat bird from the backyard flock. I find so little info on this I am thinking of writing a book on what I get and how things turn out so backyard breeders aren't constricted. Okay, maybe just a website, we'll see how cool the projects produce.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom