Has anyone ever seen or heard of crows defending chickens or turkeys?

If they were only protecting their territory, why would they have been attacking the fox only when it was going after the turkey? Why wouldn't they harass it as soon as they saw it until it was gone like they do the hawks?

Once I saw a giant crow, it would have had a six foot wingspan at the very least, attacking a quite large echidna. An even bigger eagle swooped down and drove off the crow and tried to take the echidna. We ended up saving the echidna. In this case it was one predator seeking to take another's prey. Crows enjoy meat too, there's a good chance they hoped to consume the chook instead.

Many predators pass through their territories all the time. No matter what they do there will always be predators in territories overlapping the crow's; the best they can do without dying pointlessly is to persuade the fox that hunting around crows is futile. I think it's got nothing to do with the prey species, it's about the territory. Why would any bird intervene to save or avenge a mutual enemy? But they do. Some of these enemies kill baby crows, so it's not like they co-habitat peaceably, it's just that there is a greater foe they can exile when working as a team.

Every season, many young predators born in or near a crow's territory must move outwards to find a new territory of their own. Crows would be wasting a lot of time chasing them all if they bothered. Animals often don't bother wasting energy when the threat is not immediate, or when the risk outweighs the benefit. Like when a lion's killed a zebra, the herd stops and rests, close by, knowing they're not a threat now. Attacking a dangerous predator when it's obviously just moving on through the territory could lead to it making a kill of one of its attackers. Once it's attacked something though it's crossed the line, that seems to enrage birds.

Often I do see crows etc harassing predators out of their territories, mainly hawks and snakes, etc. But often birds just sit and make the alarm call, not bothering expending such energy on a walk-through. If the predator attacks, then it is worth attacking, and often less able to defend itself as it struggles with its prey, which makes it a wise investment of time and energy. Crows are very intelligent and have strong family bonds, they don't like to risk their lives for nothing, same with kookaburras etc, in fact most birds that invest time in keeping away predators have strong family ties; those species that don't are usually those that stay safe in the trees yelling about it.

I don't think there's any altruistic motive towards chickens in particular, it's more of a personal territorial-protective reaction about the predator's decision to hunt in the crow's territory, in my opinion. If the fox kept going, the crows wouldn't have had to teach it a lesson. Most foxes don't seem to bother hunting in a crow's territory because of this reaction. Some birds will live a fairly peaceful life compared to others because all the predators know if they're spotted here they'll be loudly named and shamed until they leave, and other prey animals know those alarm calls and pay attention.

Mom reached up and bit him on the tail as he swooped down and tried to drown him. Yes, drown him by dragging him repeatedly under the water!

I don't think anyone disbelieves you, lots of people on these forums have trouble with their ducks dragging their chooks into wading pools and drowning them.

If they were only protecting their territory, why would they have been attacking the fox only when it was going after the turkey? Why wouldn't they harass it as soon as they saw it until it was gone like they do the hawks?

Once I saw a giant crow, it would have had a six foot wingspan at the very least, attacking a quite large echidna. An even bigger eagle swooped down and drove off the crow and tried to take the echidna. We ended up saving the echidna. In this case it was one predator seeking to take another's prey. Crows enjoy meat too, there's a good chance they hoped to consume the chook instead.

Many predators pass through their territories all the time. No matter what they do there will always be predators in territories overlapping the crow's; the best they can do without dying pointlessly is to persuade the fox that hunting around crows is futile. I think it's got nothing to do with the prey species, it's about the territory. Why would any bird intervene to save or avenge a mutual enemy? But they do. Some of these enemies kill baby crows, so it's not like they co-habitat peaceably, it's just that there is a greater foe they can exile when working as a team.

Every season, many young predators born in or near a crow's territory must move outwards to find a new territory of their own. Crows would be wasting a lot of time chasing them all if they bothered. Animals often don't bother wasting energy when the threat is not immediate, or when the risk outweighs the benefit. Like when a lion's killed a zebra, the herd stops and rests, close by, knowing they're not a threat now. Attacking a dangerous predator when it's obviously just moving on through the territory could lead to it making a kill of one of its attackers. Once it's attacked something though it's crossed the line, that seems to enrage birds.

Often I do see crows etc harassing predators out of their territories, mainly hawks and snakes, etc. But often birds just sit and make the alarm call, not bothering expending such energy on a walk-through. If the predator attacks, then it is worth attacking, and often less able to defend itself as it struggles with its prey, which makes it a wise investment of time and energy. Crows are very intelligent and have strong family bonds, they don't like to risk their lives for nothing, same with kookaburras etc, in fact most birds that invest time in keeping away predators have strong family ties; those species that don't are usually those that stay safe in the trees yelling about it.

I don't think there's any altruistic motive towards chickens in particular, it's more of a personal territorial-protective reaction about the predator's decision to hunt in the crow's territory, in my opinion. If the fox kept going, the crows wouldn't have had to teach it a lesson. Most foxes don't seem to bother hunting in a crow's territory because of this reaction. Some birds will live a fairly peaceful life compared to others because all the predators know if they're spotted here they'll be loudly named and shamed until they leave, and other prey animals know those alarm calls and pay attention.

Mom reached up and bit him on the tail as he swooped down and tried to drown him. Yes, drown him by dragging him repeatedly under the water!

I don't think anyone disbelieves you, lots of people on these forums have trouble with their ducks dragging their chooks into wading pools and drowning them.

chooks4life......makes perfect sense. I believe that you are most likely right on. I will however point out that the dead baby turkey laid there for a while before the fox returned for it and the crows never attempted to get it. Not while all was quiet or when the fox came back for it. So maybe, just maybe, there's more to it...............

chooks4life......makes perfect sense. I believe that you are most likely right on. I will however point out that the dead baby turkey laid there for a while before the fox returned for it and the crows never attempted to get it. Not while all was quiet or when the fox came back for it. So maybe, just maybe, there's more to it

Yeah, it's always a stranger world than we know.

This happened yesterday. My chickens were out in the field and two crows who are always around started making all sorts of noise and kept swooping down on the chickens. The chickens were startled and ran off and I was a bit upset with the crows and couldn’t understand why they would suddenly do that. My husband then went walking around the field and saw a big adult fox! I’m convinced the crows were warning the chickens. Could have been altruistic but the crows every now and then manage to get some eggs. Maybe they were protecting their food source! Either way we were grateful.

This is an older thread but pertinent. The crows here do mainly chase off hawks that come around. I think they are territorial and will protect their territory. I do put stuff out for the wild birds. During the day the predators lay low and come out mostly at night to hunt but especially during the summer months it's hot during the day. I have eliminated a couple of fox that killed some of my birds but have seen others since. I have one now that comes around most every night but as long as it leaves my birds alone I will leave it alone. I don't free range anymore due to losses from predators in the past. Many predators will lurk looking for an opportunity when you least expect them and most who free range will loose birds sooner or later and the predators will always come back once they have made a kill or have discovered your birds. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens, good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens and concrete under the gates all from losses due to predators in the past. Good luck...

I don't think crows let out the call for chickens, but maybe for other crows or birds in the area. Around my property there are a handful of ravens that live in a dead tree and I've noticed that my chickens listen for their calls. There's been plenty of times when the ravens do their alert call, my chickens dive for cover or run into the coop.
I don't think I'll, ever have to worry about hawk attacks, because their presence always gets called out, and all the little birds in my area will aggressively chase and peck at any hawks. Its quite the sight, seeing like 10 little sparrow type birds attacking a big hawk. They also dive at my poor outdoor cat.. Birds are crazy lol.

About a week ago my kids and I were outside playing with all of our critters, the chickens were free ranging as usual and we heard our resident crows making a huge fuss in the tree line at the border of our yard. We didn't think much of it at the time, but about twenty minutes later we found that one of our hens had apparently been grabbed by something because all that remained of her was a lot of feathers. This happened in the very area where we heard the crows, I wish that I would have checked it out when we heard them. A couple of days ago, we were working in the barn when once again we hear the crows yelling. I look towards the woods where they are and see them fly across our 11 acre field to the opposite side tree line. Just seconds later my daughters start yelling and running towards the same area to chase away none other than a FOX that is stalking our chickens! Then, just yesterday, once again we are out in the barn, hear the crows yelling, look in their direction, and see the fox attacking a wild turkey hen's babies! The mother turkey was flogging the fox, trying to save her babies, but the CROWS were dive bombing the fox! One crow seemed to even be holding on to the fox. We ran the fox off, but it was too late for the little baby turkeys. We found at least one dead laying there. We went back to the barn quickly in case the mother turkey wanted to come back to find her babies, maybe they were hiding in the tall grass. We also figured that the fox would be back to claim it's prize. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later we heard the crows sounding the alarm again and watched the fox come grab the dead poult. It was sad as we watched the mother come back later looking for any survivors. She found none.

Anyway, has anyone else ever known crows to defend poultry? Maybe they just don't want the fox hunting in their territory, but it sure seems as though they are trying to help the chickens and the wild turkey out. I have a new found respect and admiration for them no matter what their reasoning is.
Animals do help protect other species, or at the very least they communicate danger in general and the chickens are constantly in tune to this. I have free ranging chickens located near a state park so we have lots of predators. Hawks have been a problem. There is a blujay that will caw loudly in the backyard when a hawk is near.

Crows and ravens are very social creatures and will ward off hawks and other predators. They are like the Paul Revere of the animal kingdom, they keep watch and are very vocal with their warnings. Crows and ravens both attack and harrass hawks.

Owls prety on hawks as well. I put up plastic and metal owls in the yard and also added two black chickens to my flock after seeing a video on youtube about keeping flocks safe from hawks. They are afraid of large black birds and mistake the black chickens for crows.

We also have a feral housecat that won't let me get close to it but it regularly visits the chickens and they appear to be buddies. I'll see the cat laying in the grass near several of them pecking around it. I've caught it sleeping in their nesting box. When a racoon was harassing the chickens, the cat hung around more often and on two occasions fought with the racoon to chase it out of the yard.

When I first noticed the cat sleeping outside the coops at night I thought it wanted to kill them. Turns out it's taken on the role of buddy and protector. I put food and water out for it now, in thanks.

Animals can demonstrate emotions and form atrachments. When several of my chickens were killed by predators the other chickens were calling loudly for them, looking for them. The mourning seemed to last several days to a week.

Back
Top Bottom