Has anyone ever truly "tamed" an aggressive rooster?

Have you ever truly "tamed" an aggressive rooster?

• Yes - it can be done.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope - aggressive roosters go to the freezer.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

LadyMaryChicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Our rooster is developing an aggressive personality, and I've read lots of advice: "turn him into soup," "smack him with a stick," "pick up him up and carry him around," and "squirt him with water."

Hoping that he won't have to become soup....

Has anyone ever been successful at stopping the aggression? Seems like picking him up settles him down, but we have been repeating the same routine for a couple months with no real changes. He still challenges almost every day.

We have not yet tried the water squirt gun, but the other methods seem to stop the aggression for the day only. Now, the roo has taken to sneaking up on my husband when his back is turned, and has even flown up toward his face. He even bites my husband when he's feeding the hens treats.

He seems to attack my husband the most. Husband uses the "pick up him" tactic, as well as sweeping him away with a stick. I don't get attacked nearly as much, but I'm VERY careful about keeping him away from me. I distract with treats or shout when he starts running toward me, and that usually prevents an attack...but I feel like I'm walking around on eggshells (ha) around this bird, and it's getting annoying.

Not sure if you guys can weigh in on any of these details, but if you have a method that has actually WORKED please let me know! Thanks.

I had 4 roosters, got rid of the two most aggressive ones. The other two Ive "tamed" them into not being aggressive. The alpha rooster now actually protects me if the other one gets aggressive. And he will come between us and push the other away.

When they used to show signs of agressiveness I would put my hand under their chest and push them back. Not hard but enough for them to realize that when Im in the coop Im in charge.

With the Alpha rooster I feel Ive sort of developed an mutual understanding where he knows when Im there, I am in charge. When Im away he is in charge. He realized when I am there I take care of them , I baby his women (i treat my hens like my babies) so he sees I also care. If he is tending to one of the hens that is about to lay, give him a treat to show him "yes youre a good boy i see what youre doing"

I think if you read this thread it will be very helping as far as tips and suggestions. It helped me and hope it can do the same for you! :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/821717/how-to-raise-a-rooster

One thing they say in this thread is we cant baby the roosters, it shows a sign of weakness. In my case I still pick him up and carry him around. He doesnt do anything to me when I set him down. He just does his little stamper and walks off. He gets angry but I feel he repects me enoug not to bite me. Though I could also be one of those few lucky rooster owners. Hes a really really good boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom