Has anyone ever...

EggsForIHOP

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
TEXAS
Suspected a roo then got lucky and ended up with a hen?

I ask because in the shipment of mixed pullets DH ordered there is ONE little silvery chick - the prettiest little chick, my favorite really, very friendly, VERY cute (would post pics but the camera has been MIA for a few weeks)

Sadly though...this one has not hardly sprouted any wing or tail feathers yet, and EVERYONE else has! I know with the previous batch, everyone that is coming up 'roo' were slow to feather out...so.......

Are there any breeds that just develop slower than others? We are comparing them to BR, BO, and EE for sure, have no clue what the mystery batch is...

Or has anyone ever had a late bloomer? A hen that just was a little slower then the rest?

I know I may be asking for false hope...but this one is just so sweet and good looking...I would hate to have to rehome it and I know this is one we couldn't eat...any thoughts?

Some chicks do feather out slower than others, and yes I have had a couple that I thought was a roo end up being a hen. So there is still hope. Maybe you should post pics if you are able. Keeping my fingers crossed that you have a hen

Last year we ordered 8 pullets. There was one I was keeping an eye on right up until she finally laid an egg. She sure had me worried. She stood like a rooster and was a bully too. She thinks that she is the chicken in charge.

I have a coming 2 year old hen who I swear has a sexual identity crisis. She refuses to lay eggs and has this huge comb and is sort of masculine looking. I know she is a she because she was laying last year.

They are all 2 weeks old...no idea what anyone is, it's the mixed 25 from MPC...

Below is my other favorite (no idea on what she is either)- see all the wings and the tail that she has sprouted...so has everyone else really...lots of little wing and tail sprouts in the brooder...
54700_chick2aspx.jpg

Then here is my little tarnished friend..no idea on what breed either...but see how we lack a tail entirely and the wings...those happened in the last few hours I swear..they were nubbies at dinner time still!

54700_chick3aspx.jpg

A head shot...the comb seems to be the same as everyone elses..but its gray like her (I hope HER) and hard to see in a pic since it blends so well with the color of the baby....

54700_headshotaspx.jpg

And a side view of the head...

54700_sideviewaspx.jpg

btw...it is almost 2 a.m., I can't sleep because they are all up peeping and making noise...but go to take a pic and they get all offended! Go fig...if they would sleep then I wouldn't be bugging them! Also, sorry bout the pic quality - or lack there of....the camera went MIA a few weeks back so I am working off of the one on the cell phone which I say is pure El Toro PooPoo!

Any other thoughts ya'll??

At 2 weeks old i would just wait it out another two weeks or so. I've made a few mistakes in the past as well so know. i wait until there about 4 or 5 weeks old. This usually helps me out, but I still assume hen or roo before that 4 week mark.

Quote:
Oh yeah, by no means is anyone going anywhere at this age based upon what they may be...but it is SO hard not to try to guess a little! Especially when it's the one chick that is different in everyway!

Quote:
was that chick a BR (considering your avatar)? i am still hanging on to the notion that mine could still be a girl! i just love him/her!! good luck with yours, EFIH!

I wouldn't worry based only on the feathering. You really can't compare because you're dealing with different breeds, right? Name this chick a very girly name and think feminine thoughts in her direction...

Back
Top Bottom