Has anyone gotten Welsummers from Meyer Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by dapper, Oct 9, 2007.

1. dapper

dapper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I am wondering if anyone has bought any Welsummers from Meyer, I would like to know how dark those eggs really are. I am wanting those "Rich Dark Terracotta Brown" eggs.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I plan to order at least one of their Welsummers next spring. I'd love to hear from somebody that already has.

3. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I can tell you this, this is one case you should look before you leap. I purchased some from Ideal, an excellent hatchery IMHO, and their eggs vary from light brown to that chocolate brown. The lighter ones have the chocolate specs in them. In my case I got what I wanted, darker eggs and healthy birds, without havening to pay a lot for them. I was very pleased with the results.

[​IMG]

Breeders/small hatcheries that are into a breed CULL, most larger hatcheries do not , why , shear numbers. They also have to cut new blood in from time to time from other breeds to widen the genetic pool.
    Thats why you will see Welsumers with a white feather on its wing or hens with spurs or Buttercups with yellow legs, or Wyandottes with cochin combs, etc.

If egg color is real important to you, ask for a picture from the breeder/hatchery.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by