Has anyone grown potatoes from seed? (TPS)

For the longest time, my tiny little potatoes from seed were... tiny. When I watered them, I had to drip water onto them, so I didn't knock them over. The stems finally sized up enough to look like they could be transplanted.

I'm not expecting record sized tubers, or maybe even edible sized tubers. I might just be growing tubers to plant next year.

I've also read that any potato plant that grows from seed is a breeding project. You might get something worth eating, or it might be bitter. But the fun is in the trying!

I had thought about growing some over the winter indoors and planting the tiny tubers in the spring as regular potatoes. Never got around to it though. Last few years I just save some potatoes until spring and plant them. Think I'm on year 3.

If you want a message board to poke around for some TPS info it's at the link below. It was started by Tom Wagner. The TPS Guy. I'm still growing some pillar squash I got from him years ago. It's round, but tastes like zucchini, only it will store like winter squash. I ordered seeds once for what I thought would be the same thing, but it wasn't. Grew like crazy, but all seeds.

https://tatermater.proboards.com/thread/345/sowing-tps-true-potato-seed

Has anyone grown potatoes from True Potato Seed (TPS), ie, from a seedball the plant grew? I got three seedballs last year. I've never gotten one before, and so I thought it would be fun to grow a few. The seeds are tiny, and they'll be a breeding experiment, as I have no idea which variety pollinated the one that grew the ball. An uncontrolled breeding experiment. :gig

I'm hoping someone here has done this and will share their experience.
I have not done it intentionally but I have had volunteer potato plants that came up from seeds in the garden.

For the longest time, my tiny little potatoes from seed were... tiny. When I watered them, I had to drip water onto them, so I didn't knock them over. The stems finally sized up enough to look like they could be transplanted.

I'm not expecting record sized tubers, or maybe even edible sized tubers. I might just be growing tubers to plant next year.

I've also read that any potato plant that grows from seed is a breeding project. You might get something worth eating, or it might be bitter. But the fun is in the trying!
If you grow from seed you do not know what you will get.

Back
Top Bottom