Has anyone had a chicken like this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I'm starting to see similarities between one of my red sex links and a RIR I had before. I once had this RIR who I probably should have let die when she was a little chick because she was so weak but my husband and I kept at her and made her healthy. She got sick a lot, if she got worked up or scared she had breathing issues and could even pass out from them. It took her a full year to mature before she started laying.

Now I have a red sex link (possibly related, not sure because I don't know if their daddy was the original RIR's brother or not) and this little girl is a bit healthier and definitely has more spunk but we helped her hatch (my husband couldn't stand letting her die after she pipped). She was born February 19th and has pretty much no wattles or comb and her face is just starting to turn a light pink colour... whereas the others have laid and have bright red wattles and the chickens themselves are enormous (she is tiny). Anyway today she had breathing issues when she was being held by me because she was nervous. I sat her down and my dog came to smell and she flopped over like she was drunk (very much like my old RIR) would have done. It seems so odd that they both had these same issues. It makes me wonder if she will mature and lay wonky looking eggs like the other one. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I'm sorry you are going through this. It sounds like it may be something contagious. You should post in "diseases, injuries, etc" you will probably get more replies. Be sure to give all the details about age, symptoms, etc. I just had a nasty battle with Marek's (I think) and every day, I dread going out to the coop just in case someone else is sick. Best of luck to you.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

From what I understand from the poster's message, they both were "saved" one way or another as chicks, and these are separate instances so this isn't a contagious thing. To me it would seem that nature's way of letting them go because they weren't formed correctly was intercepted. I can't say as I blame you, I would try to save a little chick, too. But, I think sometimes it can be best not to interfere, otherwise you get these types of problems. A similar theory could be ascribed to human babies and adults as well, but this isn't a popular opinion! Advancements in science and knowledge have helped us save many lives of all sorts, but we have to be ready to deal with the outcomes. Probably most saved chicks go on to lead healthy lives with no problems, but you've now experienced the flip side twice.

Since you've dealt with a special bird before I imagine you know what to expect and do for her. Stuff happens and we deal with it the best we can. Makes me think hard about what I'll do when my first batch o' incubatin' eggs start pipping. [​IMG]

4. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    I was going to let the incubating one go but hubs wouldn't hear of it. The other one was sleeping a lot and we kept waking her up and dipping her beak for days. They were both saved... oddly enough, my first "special" chicken got hit by a car of all things [​IMG]

5. bantam0907

bantam0907 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    Quote:I think I was battling Mareks also... Ive lost two birds from it with almost text book symptoms it is very hard and i hate to hear of any one else going through it! One things for sure only Mareks vaccinated chicks for me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by