Has anyone had any luck with chicken saddles/aprons?

Bocktobery 10

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2010
I have bought three- and each time they didn't work. I was thinking that it was the wrong size, but each time I buy a size smaller and none of them worked. Usually the chicken picks at it constantly or gets her wings caught into it. I free range my flock, and we do have quite a number of predators around, so I really don't want my hens who wear an apron to get caught up in it and then have to flee suddenly.

I was wondering if any of you chicken people out there have had good luck with their hens wearing chicken saddles/aprons and if so, how did you get it to stay on or how did you get your hen to not be driven crazy trying to pick it off constantly? I have two roosters now, and several of my girls have bare backs. I will be caging up the roosters for a while to try and give the gals a rest, but as soon as I let them back out, I know I'll be dealing with this again.

I really have had no luck with the chicken saddles/aprons. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Have they ever worked for you?

Ciqala, Thanks so much for a link to that write up. I'll look into it.

It seems the conventional ones aren't working for me. Maybe I'll just have to fashion something that will.

Back
Top Bottom