Has anyone here Killed/butchered and processed there own Chickens?

I need to buy one of those holding cages, so I don't have to worry about catching them.........................

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1B5FR...lid=MLWA33UJI8DX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im&th=1
Whether it's worth having a special crate just for the purpose would depend on how often you need to use it, and what your other options are.

You could use a dog crate, or a rabbit cage, or a plastic bin with hardware cloth on top, or even a box with some air holes. There are lots of options to contain chickens for a few hours.

I need to buy one of those holding cages, so I don't have to worry about catching them.........................

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1B5FR...lid=MLWA33UJI8DX&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im&th=1
We used to take them off their roost early in the morning kill and process them before letting the rest of the tribes out.
It seemed the minimum stress method for everyone. The chicken doesn't spend their last hours alone and isolated. It's all over in seconds for the chicken. I don't think anyone likes the killing and processing. If one is trying to maintain a self sustaining chicken population 50% of the hatchings are going to be male and some population control is necessary.
I won't eat chicken now unless I reared it or know it's provenance exactly.

We use a large round trash can, double bagged with the thick black liners. The kill cones go in there, hanging off the edge. We put them in the kill cone, let them calm down a moment then slice throat. They bleed into the can. Alternatively, they could be killed via broomstick method then placed in the kill cone. Having a larger kill cone for Cornish x is helpful so they are well into the kill cone, and secure.

If we are butchering sone unwanted males of a regular (more feisty) breed, it is helpful to place them in a darkened cage for awhile so they are very calm and easier to handle.

True that but I just use meat cleaver to take there heads off! Much faster View attachment 3044228
Hey is that the actual brand you use? Umm just curious.

We have raised freedom rangers and Cornish x and processed for meat.
We bought kill cones, a rotary scalder, and a plucker.
We kill by cutting open the artery in the neck and let them drain for a few minutes. Once they're done twitching they get scalded and plucked. Usually the plucker gets 95% of the feathers so I'll pick those off and pass the bird to my husband who does most of the evisceration. We feed the hearts to our dog/cats and keep the liver for ourselves and compost the rest of the guts.
Our home-raised chicken tastes infinitely better than any store bought chicken I've had.
We use chicken tractors that we move to fresh grass daily.
Hey, I'd never heard of freedom rangers till recently. Can you breed them? Or are they like the Cornish?

I'm new to chickens and have only harvested 2 birds so far. My flock was acquired last summer in exchange for felling a half downed tree. 3 red sex links of unknown age (maybe 2-3 years?), and 7 POL pullets. I was told they're Wyandottes but they aren't. Columbian Rock most likely?

The "golden comet" was not a big bird. She was being a terrible bully so crockpot jerk chicken seemed appropriate. I did brine her before slow cooking. Not much meat on her bones, but I much prefer the flavor over store bought chicken. As in there actually is flavor.

The second was a pullet, about 7 mos old, made a much larger carcass. This was also brined, then roasted. I found the meat to be tougher than preferred, but still good. Still a great flavor.

I will add the caveat that I'm only feeding 2 people. We don't dislike "gamey" meat. We prefer dark meat, and I'm super inexperienced. I hope to improve with more otimal breeds and age of slaughter. I do plan to stay with dual purpose breeds/mixes. I will continue to harvest older birds for meat even if nothing is optimal because that's why I have chickens!
Take a look at Dorkings. They tend to have more dark meat compared to other meat birds.

Back
Top Bottom