Has anyone in England neutered their cockerels?

I thought it was common knowledge that artificial hormones cause cancer. Especially ones that interrupt natural, healthy body functions.
That’s not necessarily true, I’ve never heard of that through the research I’ve done and you can’t seem to give me any insight or facts on it...

Annalisebloss maybe your not looking in the right places which is possible aside from that since 2008 from what I can find through other forums caponizing is not really done unless you have loads of money and you can manage to find a vet that is willing to do it. as for chem castration I don't think it's legal in the UK any more because of fodd and safety issues from the little info I can find on it reguardless of if it's a pet or not it's still seen as livestock. and to my knowledge as obicat said it's illegal

breeding is not a real big issue if you don't want chicks don't incubate eggs, some roosters are aggressive others are not and you need to work with them. I'm betting your roosters maybe to old any for caponizing anyway. if you did not want him to breed,or make noise or anything else you should just stick with hens.

It is illegal to capon a chicken in the UK
Yes, caponizing - removal of the testicles - is illegal. However the OP is interested in chemical castration, with the injection of a suprelorin implant. It's used in dogs, cats, ferrets and other mammals to create temporary sterilization. From what I can find out use in poultry is off-label. If that is the case then I expect it will be difficult to find a vet willing to do the procedure. It also seems the results people have had on using the implants on mature roosters have been mixed - it often doesn't lessen crowing or even mating attempts. It seems to be more effective in keeping hens with serious laying issues healthy though.

If you do not believe in breeding there are other ways to prevent them from producing offspring. If you keep both sexes together then make sure all eggs are collected daily and break any broody hens. Or an even easier method is to just keep males and females in separate flocks. Free range them on alternate days if that's something you are able to do.

Back
Top Bottom