Has anyone purchased chicks from Hilltop Farms in California? *Do not buy from Hilltop Farms! Negative experiences are in the thread!!!*

Pics
I ordered a Lavendar Ameracauna but never got it! They substituted with a Lavendar Orpington. Do you have a suggestion of where to order from? I spoke to a very helpful, kind and knowledgable man at My Pet Chicken this AM. I was thinking of them. I also looked at Dare to Dream, but they don't deliver to my area, and i'm concerned about a 3.5 hour drive home with baby chicks after all of this has happened. I welcome any suggestions you might have as to where to go. I thought I was buying top notch chicks. So sad.
Last year I got mine from Meyer hatchery, gorgeous and healthy girls, and I would definitely order from them again. I recently purchased eggs from a place called gypsy hen poultry, love them too!
Do not purchase from a place called backyard chickies here in So Cal! They are selling chicks with known Mareks disease!

Last edited:
Last year I got mine from Meyer hatchery, gorgeous and healthy girls, and I would order from them again. I recently purchased eggs from a place called gypsy hen poultry. Do not purchase from a place called backyard chickies here in So Cal! They are selling chick with known Mareks disease!
Is backyard chickies is a brand name? If they are selling marek disease, they should report about it- .

Is backyard chickies is a brand name? If they are selling marek disease, they should report about it- .
Yes the place is in San Diego and it’s called backyardchickies.com ( https://www.backyardchickies.com/ ) found them when I was researching places down here in So Cal and someone in the reviews said the owner knows there’s Mareks in the flock but they’re still selling chickens, even shipping now too!

Yes the place is in San Diego and it’s called backyardchickies.com ( https://www.backyardchickies.com/ ) found them when I was researching places down here in So Cal and someone in the reviews said the owner knows there’s Mareks in the flock but they’re still selling chickens, even shipping now too!
Found this on their site... they state that all their own chickens are vaccinated, and they give the option to vaccinate your chicks on hatch day.

https://www.backyardchickies.com/pages/mareks-vaccination?_pos=2&_sid=82bffc936&_ss=r

Found this on their site... they state that all their own chickens are vaccinated, and they give the option to vaccinate your chicks on hatch day.

https://www.backyardchickies.com/pages/mareks-vaccination?_pos=2&_sid=82bffc936&_ss=r
The vaccine prevents most chickens from developing symptoms and dying from mareks disease but since it’s a leaky vaccine, it doesn’t prevent the chickens from actually contracting mareks and infecting other chickens. So if you bring home a chicken that’s vaccinated for mareks but carrying the disease, if you have a flock with unvaccinated birds and introduce that vaccinated bird carrying the disease, they’ll spread it to the unvaccinated birds and they’ll get sick and show symptoms meanwhile that one vaccinated chicken won’t due to the vaccine preventing symptoms from showing. That vaccinated bird with mareks disease is now spreading the disease all over the property and will spread it to any new chickens, vaccinated or not. I do see that they have strict bio security measures with their hatchlings that they sell, and you can prevent them from contracting the disease from the main flock with a strict bio security regime, but I honestly would not risk purchasing from them because I wouldn’t want the chicks that had a bio security breach like some of the reviewers, and end up with mareks on my property that won’t go away for years in the soil. 😬 By that point you might as well get ducks for a few years since they do not get mareks disease!

Here’s the review where the owner told her some of the hatchlings were exposed to the disease that’s in her main breeding flock.
3D84420C-C736-448C-88D2-6BE936D5C8E3.png

Wow I'm so sorry so many folks have had bad experiences from Hilltop Farms. Based on these recent reviews I'd definitely try to find other alternatives.

However, I wanted to share my experience that I ordered my very first chicks from Hilltop Farms back in April 2021. I got 1 Mottled Java, 1 Olive Egger, and 1 Speckled Sussex. I lived in LA so I picked them up. I personally had no problems with them. Patrick (the owner) and his sister were responsive even after purchase when I was in contact with them after my Mottled Java turned out to be a roo and I was looking at replacing.
My Speckled Sussex is wonderful, robust, healthy, and a character! My Olive Egger has had some health issues in the past 6 months but not related to the hatchery (she had metal toxicity poisoning and gut issue). She is also beautiful and otherwise healthy. They both lay well and are wonderful pet birds.

Wow I'm so sorry so many folks have had bad experiences from Hilltop Farms. Based on these recent reviews I'd definitely try to find other alternatives.

However, I wanted to share my experience that I ordered my very first chicks from Hilltop Farms back in April 2021. I got 1 Mottled Java, 1 Olive Egger, and 1 Speckled Sussex. I lived in LA so I picked them up. I personally had no problems with them. Patrick (the owner) and his sister were responsive even after purchase when I was in contact with them after my Mottled Java turned out to be a roo and I was looking at replacing.
My Speckled Sussex is wonderful, robust, healthy, and a character! My Olive Egger has had some health issues in the past 6 months but not related to the hatchery (she had metal toxicity poisoning and gut issue). She is also beautiful and otherwise healthy. They both lay well and are wonderful pet birds.
Yes I saw that before this year, the chicks were healthy and had no issues, which made me choose them in the first place! I have no idea what is going on this year with their chicks, but something isn't right.

Last edited:
Last year I got mine from Meyer hatchery, gorgeous and healthy girls, and I would definitely order from them again. I recently purchased eggs from a place called gypsy hen poultry, love them too!
Do not purchase from a place called backyard chickies here in So Cal! They are selling chicks with known Mareks disease!
How are these people allowed to sell sick chicks?! I have reported Hilltop Farms to the Sick Bird Line and they are following up.

Back
Top Bottom