has anyone recently ordered from murray mcmurray?

I don't know about polish chicks but I will tell you this ... I received 2 recent batches of chicks from McMurray hatchery .. the first recent batch I received on May 23rd with 126 chicks (no doa) and May 31st with 27 chicks (1 doa) and I only had 1 die within the first day but that was because of the chicks piling. I have always ordered from McMurray and have never had a problem with sick chicks from them. In the last 2 orders I lost a total of 3 altogether.

I am sorry for your loss.

I had like 18 die last week from an order of 25 (16 DOA). My replacements arrived yesterday and so far, so good.....but I do have some pasty butts in the older chicks that I'm dealing with.

Quote:
I had to clean up some pasty butts twice with my orders of chicks but it has been since June 4th that I have seen any of the chicks having a pasty butt (my daughter had to spend her first day of summer vacation helping me check all the chicks for pasty butt since I was spotting so many). I have been keeping an eye out to make sure there hasn't been another occurence.

I really liked the way McMurray didn't over crowd my chicks when I ordered 126 at once. They actually divided my order into 2 boxes and the chicks had space to move around.

We lost 5 seemingly healthy ones overnight
roll.png
and I had one puny one when I left for work, so....I've been dealing with the stress pasty poo the way I've always dealt with it, but my results have not been as good.

I've ordered from MMH before, and I didn't have any trouble, wasn't looking for show quality birds this time around and just wanted a couple breeds I couldn't find locally. I don't think I'll do shipped birds anymore--it's not like I ordered a ton of them, but it's still both depressing and a waste of money. And not really the hatchery's fault, or the PO's, maybe it's just the wrong time of year to order. But I am discouraged by it.

I ordered some in March and they all survived. The store where I purchased them had many returned due to deformities. It was discovered through testing that the food was a bad batch and the birds were getting rickets. My birds did well because I had supplemented them with vitamins from day one. It's a good idea to give them electrolytes and vitamins for the first couple of weeks just to give them that extra boost. Sorry you lost so many.

I have ordered from McMurray several times and they are always friendly, fast, efficient and I have never lost a chick. In fact, I have had them call to follow up on the chicks the next day.

I've only had one polish from McMurray, a bearded white, and she was beautiful. Her crest was enormous. That's her in my avatar. I haven't ordered from McMurray for almost two years, but when I have ordered from them, I've had really healthy chicks.

Ack! Sulmet can cause major liver damage. Another effective coccidiostat that has a large margin of safety and can be given at even double the dosage without negative side effects is corid/amprol/amprollium. Go to mid state vet supply site online (owned by Mr. Peter Brown) and order a bag of the powdered amprol. Use it once the chicks arrive and continue for two weeks to prevent problems with coccidia, it is a MAJOR killer of chicks and chills/overheating/shipping stress can cause a small coccidia problem to bloom into a chick-killing plague as their immune systems aren't as strong as usual.

Also, add some sugar to the water when they arrive, and always keep clean food and water in front of them. Use a quality chick starter,.. and make sure they have an area that is under the heat lamp to get warm, but can easily move a distance away from it to cool down. They will use this temperature gradient to moderate their own temp.

Back
Top Bottom