1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

has anyone recvd more chicks than they ordered from McMurray?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daisy40258, Jun 28, 2007.

1. daisy40258

daisy40258 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    We ordered 25 chicks from McMurray - we got the bonus chick and somehow recvd 28 total.....has that ever happened to anyone??!!![​IMG]

2. Motherhenandflock

Motherhenandflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Southeast Idaho
    Yes, I think they put in a few extra, just in case. Plus your bonus chick! [​IMG]

3. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Yup, I got the same thing... I ordered my 25, +my free rare and unusual, plus I got 2 extras thrown in "for warmth". Keep in mind that the extras are roos...

4. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    that is common -- not so bad when you order 25 and get 28 worse when you order ten and get 25
    the "extras" we call packing peanuts and are usually male - "males added for warmth"
    what I have alwasy wondered is if they can sex males to add as extras for Bantams why do they only sell St.Run ???

5. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I ordered 32 this Spring and ended up with 50!!! They sent me 16 red star males for warmth...plus an extra australorp and buff orpington. It created a bit of havoc for a few days because my brooder was too small.
    I gave away the extra boys (saved 3) at about 10 weeks to a local hobbyist.

6. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

I ordered 25 "Rainbow Layers" from MM. They were delivered the first week of March. The US was having very, very cold weather at the time and they sent me 30 chicks. 2 were DOA and I lost 4 more within 48 hours.

Since this was my first experience with chickens, I knew there would be a certain mortality rate. I thought I would end up with about 10-15 chickens in the end. Well, I've got 24 healthy chickens running around! 2 are roosters. One is a white polish and the other, a splash andalusian that I am trying to give away because he has become aggressive and mean.

I didn't get any takers on BYC to take Roo, and I hesitate posting on Craigslist. I'm sure there are many good peopleon Craigslist, but I don't want an animal abuser to get him. What to do?? Sorry I got off the topic..... [​IMG]

7. daisy40258

daisy40258 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    I am so glad that I am not the only one!! We have to wait until they are all sleeping to get an accurate count and my husband thinks I am just counting wrong! ha ha!! Well that is fun! I will have to wait to see who the extras are! Very exciting! Thanks for the support!![​IMG]

8. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    I order 25 from the rare and very rare categories. I received a total of 27 chicks. One died so I ended up with the 26 I should have received.

Kim

9. ChickenGuy

ChickenGuy Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    Midland, Michigan
    When I ordered from McMurray, I ordered 35 and ended up with 43. No losses yet either! 3 weeks and they all looks as healthy as can be

10. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    We order from Mt. Healthy. We ordered 25 last time and got 26-- They probably figure in case one dies in the trip, or something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by