Has anyone saved a harvest mouse?

We always raised meat cows but even their skim milk was better than the piss they sell in the stores today as skim. Crap I'm rather drink horse milk. Heck I think goats than have been eating bitter weed is better than that stuff.
Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance

I thought this thread was about mice and not milk????

That said somebody suggested evaporated milk for animals, uh no. Best bet is gonna be puppy formula from wal mart for 90% of animals. Since I did bring up goat milk, very short term you can crush up some bananas with goat milk with some liquid lactate drops until you can get the proper milk. DO NOT do it with cows milk.

I've been a wildlife rehab since I was 10, I got my permit to do it when I was 20. Been to classes to learn it for 20 years now. I don't claim to know everything but I've raised everything from squirrels to a black bear. I'm not a vet but I do have to certify for it every year. We learn how to raise baby animals. Crap they come out and inspect my 90 acres to make sure I'm doing it right every now and then.

I will still say any vet that tells you it's ok to feed any animal cows milk just want's your money from lactose intolerant animals and stay clear away from them. There are animals that can drink it but this list is very short. It's best to just not do it.

That's in kind of an unrelated thread. Where is the ORIGINAL list of helpful folks? And may I suggest another column for rooster experts? Shadrach, Rooster Havoc and GC Raptor at least come to mind. There are probably others.

??

I'm a real person, hello.

Go to walmart and pick up some kitten formula. DO NOT feed it cow milk. You can use a TINY paint brush to give it some milk. Keep it warm with a heating pad, but make sure there is a cool area away from the heating pad, too.

If you don't plan to release, your mouse needs a minimum 18x12x12 cage (bigger the better), or a minimum 10 gallon tank.
I havent read the whole thread but this sounds pretty solid

ideally what you should do is give them only diluted pedialyte when you first get them until they're properly hydrated and then switch to diluted kitten milk. if you have rodent formula that's even better, but it's not really something you can pick up at walmart.

actually I guess we need to assess its age first. I'll go scan through the thread for that purpose now.

I imagine that’s because they’re somewhat similar to cows albeit distantly related, but far closer than mice or carnivores.

Carnivores (cats, dogs, ferrets) and birds (milk production is one of the defining characteristics of a mammal) will not digest the lactose among many other things, their digestive systems being adapted to totally different foods and nutrients. Regardless of that I have to agree that the cow’s milk is a risky idea for this situation at best. While diarrhea from being given milk won’t kill a human or a duck or a cat, remember the OP is talking about a baby mouse. So this milk will be its full diet, which is not true of your pets which have been “fine” on milk. Safe bet would be to follow chickentrains advice.
additionally, diarrhea and bloat, which come from the inability to digest cows milk, can kill a tiny mouse whereas a dog might just have stinky poops

_

I am disappointed that there are just 4 pages arguing about milk and no discussion of this particular mouse. is OP even here? determining the age of the mouse is important because it will tell you how often to feed it. if its young, you will also need to manually stimulate it to poop and pee using a damp qtip, and groom any spilled milk (kitten formula, or rodent formula) off until it figures out how to groom itself.

that said, if it's a pinkie mouse, your likelihood of saving it is slim. I dont say this to discourage you, just to prepare you. it is unbelievably difficult to replicate the care mom would offer at such a young age.

also, OP, is this mouse injured?

Back
Top Bottom