Has anyone tested positive for Pullorum?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gallusfarm, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Scheduling some birds to be tested. Has anyone gotten, or hear of anyone getting a positive result to the Pullorum-typhoid test? What then? How common is it?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Not here. All were neg. Our tester told me that another tester from NY had 1 bird test positive, but they redid it with a different antigen, and it was neg. So the antigen they first used was bad.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I had heard they hasn't been a positive in many years but I could be wrong.

4. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    Last year at he county fair one of ours tested positive. We were quarantined and the entire flock tested. Two other birds tested positive. They were taken to the state lab for further testing. Thankfully it turned out to be a false positive. TAPEWORMS can show up as pullorium.

it is a very rare disease, the vets were freaking out the birds were from mcmurry and if they had been truly positive every mcmurry bird would have to have been tested.

now I only buy from tested flocks just to be safe. BTW they can get tape worms from eating earthworms,or from fleas.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope. And our tester has never been very concerned with it. But false positives can show up with birds under the age of 3 months, or so our tester says.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    There was a flock in Missouri that tested positive a couple years ago, but I haven't heard of anything lately.

If a bird has had an e-coli infection in their past, they can also show up positive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by