Has Anyone Tried a Solar Waterer?

SproutGirl

Songster
11 Years
Apr 3, 2008
Missoula, Montana
I saw an online ad for this solar waterer, and was wondering if anyone has ever tried one. Freezing our fingers in the morning knocking ice out of the waterers is sure getting old, and I know that as the season gets colder, I'll dislike that chore more and more. Anyway, here's the link:
https://stores.myregisteredsite.com/user1249836/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TC
Thanks.

Edited to correct typo in subject line.
wink.png

Last edited:
I have one, It is two bowls, with a top. One sits inside the other and the cover hold it in place, I have only had it about a week and it seems to work. As long as you have it in a spot where the sun hits it all day. You have to bring it in at night as it will freeze. easy to use, but my girls have stood on it and knocked it over, maybe a rock in it would help.
hmm.png

JUst wanted to add, I had a bit of "cat ice" on the top of the waterer just now it is 27 degrees out and super windy, It was just a small circle of ice but it was there and it direct sunlight. It will be dark here about 4.15-4.30 ish

I got one of these last Christmas and it did not work AT ALL-- it froze solid! I am in CT, so though it can get pretty cold, it's not like it's the Alaskan Tundra for cryin' out loud! Anyway, it was a disappointment.
sad.png

Yes, I thought about getting that too, until I realized it won't at all help my main problem: how to keep the 3-gallon waterer in the coop from freezing.

I don't have electricity in the coop. (I've found a great solar "shed light" for $30 that gives great light, using a small solar panel that creates electricity...why can't they do something like that for waterers?) So, all the other great suggestions I've read for keeping water unfrozen won't work for me because they all rely on electricity.

For now, I've found that filling the big waterer full with warm water keeps it unfrozen all night, just a bit of slush in the morning, but it's not ideal cause I'd prefer to be giving them the filtered water we drink, not the town water that is treated with clorine and then run through our water heater. Anyways, works for now till something better comes along. Better than no water.

Back
Top Bottom