1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has Anyone Tried a Solar Waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SproutGirl, Nov 20, 2008.

1. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    You might want to change the title to Solar...I didnt know what a Sloar waterer was [​IMG]

3. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    heh, thanks.

4. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one, It is two bowls, with a top. One sits inside the other and the cover hold it in place, I have only had it about a week and it seems to work. As long as you have it in a spot where the sun hits it all day. You have to bring it in at night as it will freeze. easy to use, but my girls have stood on it and knocked it over, maybe a rock in it would help. [​IMG]

5. Kathy1

Kathy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

JUst wanted to add, I had a bit of "cat ice" on the top of the waterer just now it is 27 degrees out and super windy, It was just a small circle of ice but it was there and it direct sunlight. It will be dark here about 4.15-4.30 ish

6. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Looks like someone dunked that chooks head in it, lol.

Cheri

7. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I got one of these last Christmas and it did not work AT ALL-- it froze solid! I am in CT, so though it can get pretty cold, it's not like it's the Alaskan Tundra for cryin' out loud! Anyway, it was a disappointment. [​IMG]

8. ChickNChicken

ChickNChicken New Egg

Jul 20, 2008
    Canton, Mass.
    Yes, I thought about getting that too, until I realized it won't at all help my main problem: how to keep the 3-gallon waterer in the coop from freezing.

I don't have electricity in the coop. (I've found a great solar "shed light" for $30 that gives great light, using a small solar panel that creates electricity...why can't they do something like that for waterers?) So, all the other great suggestions I've read for keeping water unfrozen won't work for me because they all rely on electricity.

For now, I've found that filling the big waterer full with warm water keeps it unfrozen all night, just a bit of slush in the morning, but it's not ideal cause I'd prefer to be giving them the filtered water we drink, not the town water that is treated with clorine and then run through our water heater. Anyways, works for now till something better comes along. Better than no water.

9. SierraMA

SierraMA Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Cape Cod, MA
    Where did you buy the shed light? What is the brand?

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by