Has anyone tried this brand automatic chicken door?

Craxe77

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2016
Milton Vermont
Here is the link for the run chicken T50. https://www.amazon.com/Run-Chicken-...=automatic+chicken+door&qid=1621078589&sr=8-3

think this model door is fairly new and was wondering if anyone has tried it. I was interested because :
1. Decent price
2. Easy install
3. Clean neat appearance
4. Both timer mode and daylight sensing mode

unfortunately not a bunch of reviews. I was going to build another automatic door but liked how this one looked. I’m also looking at the slightly more expensive Ador brand

Anyone use this yet?

I have the T-40 model and my chickens saw the silver test button and turned it. Now that getting more light it is harder to adjust to open and close at the proper times. I've had installed for about 2 months and it won't close if I cover sensor with my hand. I'm still trying to fight with it, but bought a different one for the coop we just built. Not sure on the T-50 model, but this is my experience with the brand and previous model. Good luck.

I have two Run Chicken doors, for the same reasons you listed! I don't know if the model is the same, I got mine last year. I love them. Easy install, looks good, works good.

Three notables:

Big beefy roosters are a little tight to fit through. All my standard hens are fine.

It can struggle with ice storms, or freezing rain. Snow has been fine.

If you use the test button right around dusk with the light sensing, it can get a little confused and not close. My coop had an existing manual door (sliding wood piece), so I installed this over the manual door. If I need to close it for some reason during the day, I just close the manual door behind it.

I bought one of these Run-Chicken T50 doors earlier this week and installed today.

Seems pretty solidly built - aluminum construction, uses a servo motor with a metal gear/cog on it to operate the door via the notch holes, mines the brown color. Manual says you can program the opening time, so I did it this morning at 7am. Using default “close at dusk” function and confirmed it did close this evening.

Thought the opening looked a bit small so I made my wood frame as large as possible on the back side - my roosters are the biggest and they seem to fit through it just fine but I’m sure the extra inch+ I gave them is appreciated. I did leave a small gap at the bottom so that any wood chips/debris will hopefully fall through to not jam the door on closing. Door wanted to hit the hardware cloth as it raised, due to a warp in the HC - so I just angled the door slightly with some makeshift spacers behind it to clear.

6B6AC8CA-DE82-4514-B224-17942EF1E7DA.jpeg

I have the ChickenGuard premium. It maxinum weight allow is 2.2lbs. If I have to buy it again, will find somthing that can lift 9+lbs. I like to idea of able to lift 5-6 1lb aluminum doors like chicken coop door, run door to garden, feeder box, etc.. If you only use for 1 chicken door, it has more power and will last much longer.

Last edited:
I bought the Run-Chicken T40 and its been just great for over a year! Its a nice brown and works wonderful. completely reliable. I live in USDA zone 5a so it had to deal with a lot of snow and ice although if sits under a 2-foot overhang. Its electric so no need to worry about changing batteries. It can't be opened once closed. I see the new version T50 uses batteries which I don't see as an improvement. The T40 can still be ordered. It was so easy to install.

I've had the T50 for about a year now. Works great, even in ice and snow. There is a dip switch you can set for extra closing force in the winter. Pretty adjustable on closing times but you need the instructions to do it, not real intuitive.

I've had the T50 for about a year now. Works great, even in ice and snow. There is a dip switch you can set for extra closing force in the winter. Pretty adjustable on closing times but you need the instructions to do it, not real intuitive.

Back
Top Bottom