1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone used a BBW hen for breeding. . .

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Arielle, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    to a heritage tom, of course.

Original hen for the BR tom died. ANd I put a 10 week BBW hen in for company. Got me thinking again of BBW x BR. Can he do the job? Will the poults grow faster than heritage with heavier breast? What are your thoughts on this terminal cross? ANyone try this?

2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    It is done all the time. The trick is to feed the BBW a restricted diet and get her plenty of room to roam so she doesn't get too big and fall over dead or break a leg.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Colby--is the restricted diet for only during the grow out time? It's not her whole life right?

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I have never tried to raise a BB turkey for breeding. They are bred to grow. Not giving it free choice of a high protien diet 24/7 would be good. Genetics of the bird will also be a big factor. Just watch the hen as she grows and if she is getting too big, cut her feed back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by