Has anyone used a plastic container as a brooder?

Yes! They work very well. I love them. They are easy to clean & do a good job of keeping the heat in for them, too. I just make sure the brooder lamp is secure & can't "fall in." (But you would do that with any brooder!)

Last edited:
Ours seem to be working nicely. We have a hook in the ceiling to hang our light and we can raise or lower it by just moving it up or down the links in the chain. We did drill a couple of small holes in the side and the solid part of the top to provide a little more ventilation. I put Sweet PDZ on the bottom of the container and about 3 or 4" of pine shavings over that. The babies are staying dry and stink free. I find that after a week with all the babies, I needed to clean the box completely, but it still wasn't smelly. We moved half of our babies to a second brooder today, they have more room to run and play and they can all sleep and not get stomped on someone going for a drink or a snack
smile.png
Ours are 105 quart and also have the latching lids.

Can you use a 250 watt bulb with plastic? My bin is 105 QT's, I plan on only getting 7 chicks. (I say this before I fall in love with them at the store). The website I found that had plans called for a 85 watt bulb and those are EXPENSIVE. Would 100 watt flood light be okay? Or do you need 250?

I went to home depot and bought a infra red 250 watt bulb for about $6, i bought 2 just so i have a back up.

As for plastic, it works great this year however i went scavaging in my father in laws house he is ripping down and re building. I got some nice 60 year old roof joists and some siding from an old pool house and some 2x4 wall studs. I took some poultry wire and made a brooder 8x4, lamp at one end, put wood pellets on top of newspaper as flooring/bedding. This way the chicks can see out, meet the resident beagle without him towering above them and there is plenty of space for play and general chick tomfoolery!

I use a large Rubbermaid tub and a 100 watt light bulb and put it right in the living room. The first few days I put paper towels down and then use the wood shavings. It works great for me, and cleans up well. I move them to a bigger cage in the garage after a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom