Has anyone used a seed germinating heat mat under incubator?

RockinRainbow

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
W. PA
Spring in PA is very unpredictable... we have 2 feet of snow outside now, but are due for a warm-up. Our very FIRST batch of hatching eggs are due to come in this week and we're beyond excited! I purchased a thermal air incubator and have been playing with temperature and humidity to try and stabilize the unit before the eggs arrive. I've found that with 3 thermometers, they all measure 3 different temperatures! 1 is the included Mercury thermometer, 1 is a digital Incubator thermometer/hygrometer, plus another digital.

I was looking at ways to try and keep the temperature more consistent... flat rocks in the incubator, bottles of water, and came upon the idea of placing a seed germinating heat mat underneath the incubator. It generates a small amount of heat and works great to start seedlings. I thought perhaps it would help stabilize the incubator temperature and reduce the temperature fluctuations. Has anyone tried this? what do you think? or any other suggestions are welcome!!!

If you can, calibrate your thermometers. Next time you are where they are selling thermometers, look at several. You will be surprised at how far apart some of the readings are. Also, the outside ones need to be within 2 degrees Fahrenheit to be considered accurate. The one I got for my incubator is accurate withion 0.1 degree Fahrenheit, but it was reading just a tad low. If I put the correction on it, I am very accurate. Also calibrate your hygrometer. You can use the search feature at the top of this page to learn how.

The heater in the incubators is not real strong. It cannot keep up with big temperature fluctuations and wind or drafts blowing in it really causes problems. To stabilize your incubator temperatures put it where the temperature is prety constant and preferable above 70 degrees Fahrenheit and out of drafts, whether from wind outside or from heating and cooling vents. If you have it in a cool room, the heating pad might help, but it is the temperature fluctuations and drafts that keep it from stabilizing.

Thanks for the suggestion on calibrating the thermometer/hygrometer. I'll use a search to figure it out.
The eggs will be in a draft free room. But there are often temperature variations just from the weather.
That's why I thought I'd try the mat. Thanks for your input!

Back
Top Bottom