Has anyone used the Avitech supplement "AviCalm"?

karmical

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 3, 2007
Honeoye Falls, NY
I'm still fighting the feather picking battle going on four months now....have gotten lots of helpful advice here
smile.png
and have tried it all...thanks to EVERYONE who's been so great with offering suggestions!!!

I've just found this product "AviCalm" and am going to give it a try...just curious if anyone has used this before (in past posts and threads I've read through, I haven't heard of it), and/or...if you feel like checking out the link to the product info, wondering if you think it could work....

http://www.avitec.com/AviCalm-Calming-Supplement-p/calm.htm

I have some hope for it after reading the product descriptions...as my two that are still picking are VERY vocal girls and do seem to be the most "nervous" of the bunch. (These two are together now in their own space in hopes of minimizing the damage to the other 5).

Thanks again everybody!
big_smile.png

*Didn't see anyplace where it says what's in it---- except something about a green tea ingredient. Have you checked for animal calmers at your local pet store??

Thanks for the input
smile.png
It should arrive on Saturday...I'll post how it all turns out! Fingers crossed this one works!!

*Didn't see anyplace where it says what's in it---- except something about a green tea ingredient.

I missed it the first time too....you have to scroll down...here's the info: (apologies if it's TMI
smile.png
)

Features:

The active ingredient in AviCalm, L-Theanine, is used as a food additive in Japan to promote relaxation and a feeling of well-being without drowsiness. It is non-toxic and can not be overdosed. It is FDA registered as safe for food. We use the only certified and tested food additive form of L-Theanine in our AviCalm formulation. The potency of L-Theanine is amplified by B vitamins and lethicin. Therefore, AviCalm should be given together with our Featheriffic! supplement. We mix them together and place place in a small pile on top of our pellet/seed mixture. (Our birds love the sweet corn flavor of Featheriffic! and they eat it immediately - even before they eat the rest of their food.)

Technical Specifications:

L-Theanine has been the subject of serious intensive research relating to animal behavior. Studies of pet dogs and cats with problems such as excessive barking, aggression and destructive behavior have proven L-Theanine's effectiveness in treating these problems. These animal tests also showed that the potency of L-Theanine is amplified by B vitamins and lethicin. Therefore, AviCalm is best given together with our Featheriffic supplement. We mix them together and place in a small pile on top of our pellet/seed mixture. (Our birds love the sweet corn flavor of Featheriffic! and they eat it immediately - even before they eat the rest of their food.) We use the only certified and tested human food additive form of L-Theanine in our AviCalm formulation. We receive a certificate of analysis for every lot delivered to assure purity, the absence of heavy metals and no evidence of coliform organisms. Our L-Theanine is combined with maltodextrin, a non-sugar food-grade carbohydrate to provide an easy dosing regime as follows: Small Birds (Cockatiels, Budgies, Finches, etc) - 1/8 teaspoon every 8 to 12 hours Medium (Amazons, Greys, Pionus) - 1/4 teaspoon every 8 to 12 hours Large Birds (Cockatoos, Macaws) - 1/2 teaspoon every 8 to 12 hours​

Hi gang
smile.png

Just thought I'd post a follow-up to the AviCalm experiment...I really thought it was working...one of my two SF's feathers were growing back in and not getting picked, but then one day....gone. I've officially given up on this one. It was somewhat cost prohibitive as well...It came down to "can I spend $100/month for this stuff?" and the answer was, "no"
sad.png

They're still picking here and there, and a few girls still have bald patches on their necks, but it seems to be bothering ME more than it bothers THEM. Hoping that now it's warm out and they can free-range a few hours a day, things will return to normal and feathers will re-grow. (I separated my other SF completely for 6 weeks and nothing re-grew...so maybe when it comes time for first molt? I hope so!!!)

Thanks again to everybody who was so kind to offer their advice and encouragement throughout!

Happy Spring!!!

Back
Top Bottom