has anyone used this heated water bucket?

DickMidnight

Crowing
Oct 23, 2021
it’s thick-walled so im
wondering if i can still use horizontal nipples with it.

also, all the pictures from tsc show it with a lid but the store didn’t have any lids. so now i’ve gotta find something to cover the top

Attachments

• 039DB238-AE5C-4577-9BAF-D94FE131ACD0.jpeg
    039DB238-AE5C-4577-9BAF-D94FE131ACD0.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 13
I've used that bucket but only as a water bucket for ducks and geese, not chickens. If you think it is too thick for nipples you might try different plastic container ( I use a 14 gallon tote with lid), horizontal nipples, and a 250 watt stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. This has kept my water thawed down into the -20s F.

I bought a large, heated dog bowl from TSC. Then I removed the top of my old chicken feeder, and set it inside the water bowl, to keep the chickens from walking through the bowl. It fits and works, perfectly.
Screenshot_20211127-145614_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20211127-145657_DuckDuckGo.jpg

good idea. i want to make a covered, heated, nipple waterer though because my chickens get theirs filthy
I do have a heated nipple waterer, too. But I haven't taught them to drink from nipples, yet. I will - but, right now we are learning the Grandpa's Feeder. One new lesson at a time. Once they do use the heated nipple waterer, I can use the heated dog bowl for the wild birds - far away from the coop, of course

I do have a heated nipple waterer, too. But I haven't taught them to drink from nipples, yet. I will - but, right now we are learning the Grandpa's Feeder. One new lesson at a time. Once they do use the heated nipple waterer, I can use the heated dog bowl for the wild birds - far away from the coop, of course
i’ve read a lot of tips on here about wedging treats into the nipples to promote pecking. that’s gonna be my approach.

i’m just hoping that i can use the nipples with this thick bucket. it seems easier than buying a bucket and a deicer and putting it all together.

update on this…

found an older thread where someone tried drilling through the double walled bucket and messed everything up.

i’ll be returning it for a 5gallon bucket with a gamma lid and a deicer

update on this…

found an older thread where someone tried drilling through the double walled bucket and messed everything up.

i’ll be returning it for a 5gallon bucket with a gamma lid and a deicer
Was it me? Because I was just coming here to say DON'T DO IT :lau The idea sounded smart but yeah, I totally ruined a $40 bucket trying that.

They sell a 2 gallon heated horizontal nipple bucket with a lid already, I would suggest trying that...

Was it me? Because I was just coming here to say DON'T DO IT :lau The idea sounded smart but yeah, I totally ruined a $40 bucket trying that.

They sell a 2 gallon heated horizontal nipple bucket with a lid already, I would suggest trying that...
i think it might have been your thread actually haha.

i chose to go with a 6 gallon bucket with a gamma lid for the extra capacity. i figure the less trips i have to make out to the coop carrying water this winter, the better.

Back
Top Bottom