Has it Gone as you expected ?

Quote:
HEY - I did that too!, my daughter is out of diapers now, but I had much fun sewing them! (got real fancy with snaps and all)

Sorry to so OT.....
lol.png

Last edited:
smile.png

I like to thank everyone that jumped in a shared thier point of view on this subject.

I too have had things go well, and some set backs, but all in all would not trade the events for anything.

The chicken asks so little of us and in my opinion return so very much to us.

Nope here too! I started with nine hens and boy it wasn't enough. But I have fun with them and wouldn't give them up!!!!
smile.png

So far, so good. I learned everything I needed to know before I got my girls right here. They have been wonderful chickies, they love their new home, all the goodies they can have, security, affection, they do everything together, it's so sweet to watch them! Yes, everything I expected, so far, I've got! But it's been only a week that I've had them, so we'll see!

Quote:
Oh thank you! I'm so glad somebody spent more than we did on our coop! I have been teased that it will take 20 years of egg production to pay for it!

Told my wife we were only going to get 4-5 birds.... At one point we had 35. We now only have 13 and some quail. What I have found so frustrating, is how hard you work to keep preditors out, they still seem to find a way in. Most folks don't understand why we keep chickens. Their comment is, "eggs are only a $1 at walmart. I have tried to explain, but they just don't get it, so I have stopped trying.

$1 eggs, and with very little flavor, no thanks, I keep my hens and there great tasting eggs.

It took us a month longer to get started thanks to our crazy weather. We started planning the coop in mid-March, but had to endure a couple of snowstorms and really cold winds.

Finally got started on the coop, only to get chased in by high winds. Pretty soon, it was mid-April... you just don't dare order chicks until things are ready.

Finally it was time, and then I had to wait on funds to get to the right account... another week's delay.

April 15 we placed our order and discovered that Welp only ships on Monday... another week's delay...

Now, I only pray that all these delays don't slow down the idea of having eggs somewhere between 22 and 25 weeks from the end of April.

Of course, that will be mid-September, and by then we'll have had the first frost. That brooder heat lamp will be turned on again, just to keep the pullets warm enough to lay.

Quote:
I had to laugh... Apparently I have some demanding birds... IM constantly having to build them new coops, new runs, new nest boxes... And heaven forbid if I drive back in the drive way with corn in my truck.. I dont know how the heck they know.. BUt they will swarm my truck.. Forcing me to cough up the corn under threat of laying eggs on my paint job...
When I pull over to the barn to unload hay they all must come and jump all over the hay as IM trying to unload it..IM sure they are making sure I didnt stuff a bag of scratch somewhere under the hay pile.. And if I leave my trucm door open--- They hope right on in and will help themselves to whatever they find.. Last time it was my pepsi.. Had a cup without a lid.. Caught a roo with his head buried in the cup apparently enjoying himself immensly..
And if one of the dominate roos is harrassing a lesser roo, it will come running towards me for safety LOL.. So I have to even protect the little guy from the "bully"... My duck Hens bring me babies and set them near my shed expecting ME to provide the babies with a small waterer and feed...
SO yep I had to laugh at the part about asking so little.... HA my birds know who loves them LOL.. And they take full advantage of the fact..

I have my feed stored in a shed near the chicken pen, for the most part any time I walk by they come running to see what I might have for them - they are a little funny that way.

I do let them out to walk around and forage around the yard.

Back
Top Bottom