Has my chicken had a stroke?

Terrilth

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
My Americauna is very lethargic today and keeps closing one eye. She seems a bit off balance and is not eating. I don't see any sign of injury on her eye though. She seems a bit spacey.

These are our first chickens so I have no experience, but the first thing that came to mind is stroke. (?)

She is almost of laying age. We expect eggs anytime in the next 2-3 weeks. From what I've read this is not pre-laying behavior.

I held her for a while which she loves, checked her crop and the rest of her and I'm kind of at a loss here.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
~~Terri

Hmmm....maybe she's eggbound? Is olive oil a good thing to try? And how do I get it in her?

Oh, I forgot to mention too that her vent seems to be spasming some - if ykwim.

Quote:
This is most likely normal. If she isn't laying, eggbound is very unlikely.

Need lots more info. Where are you? Is it hot? Could she be reacting to be overheated?

The questions in the sticky at the beginning of this forum will help you give us more info needed.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Americauna - almost 5 months old

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargy, keeping one eye closed. Diminished appetite.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
???

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Drinking some, just saw her eating some - yay!

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Posting here for help.
wink.png

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Myself if possible.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
coop w/pine shavings. 4 others with her.

We're in FL. Yes, it's hot, but not as hot as it has been. This chicken seems to be heat sensitive though - I posted here before about her runny poo and turns out (I think) that it was a result of the heat and/or drinking too much water.

So. Perhaps this is another symptom of being overheated? I don't know. Closing one eye? What's that about? Or is this coincidental?

I just went out and felt her abdomen and I don't feel anything unusual.

Where are you at and has it been hot? I had a 7 week old chick about die from heat stroke last week. Same kind of behavior. Off balance and lethargic. This one was to the point she wouldn't eat or drink though. It took her two days inside and pedialite/sugar water to get back to normal.

ETA: it could very well be heat stroke if you are in Florida.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hmmm....I will give her some pedialyte or gatorade tomorrow. How do I get it in her if she won't drink it?

Quote:
I'm drawing a blank on the feed right now - whatever it is for their stage of development that we get from the feed store (when dh comes in I'll ask him), grit, just added some oyster shells.

We let them free range at night after dinner for about an hour or so. I can't think of anything she might've gotten into.

As far as treats go, we give them grass, leftover lettuce, sometimes bread crumbs too.

Back
Top Bottom