1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has this duck started a nest near my pool?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by moonunit7, Mar 31, 2016.

1. moonunit7

moonunit7 New Egg

Mar 31, 2016
    Hi. I hope someone can help me. Yesterday a male and female duck were enjoying my pool and spent a lot time sun bathing around it. I left them alone, thinking it was really sweet. Today, the female came back alone. I was told by our pool people that it's best not to let them nest around the pool. They suggested putting a floaty in the pool which I did. As soon as I walked outside with it, the female duck flew off. She flew overhead a couple of times but did not come back all day. I am just concerned that she may have laid an egg or started a nest and I don't want to run her off if that is case. Does anyone know how soon they lay eggs or nest after arriving at a new place? Is it a sign that she is now nesting since the male duck did not come back with her? I feel so bad not letting her stay and have her babies here but people are saying it's better not to them. Thank you!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] "Ducks and ducklings poop a lot. It is best to discourage her from nesting in your pool area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by