hatch always staggers on PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Blueroo63, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    why do I say put down 18 eggs and on day 21- 4 will hatch,day22 - 2 hatch then none then 3 days later 5 hatch, and so on what am i doing wrong,and some of the later babies are cover in goo that sticks to them and how do I get this off ,what going on here please advice why this keeps happing temp 100-101 and humity 65% usally holing pretty good please advice thanks [​IMG]

2. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Hi Peepfreak.
    I'm not sure why this is happening so staggered when you start the eggs at the same time.
    Are you opening the bator any time during the hatch?
    The way you describe stuff sticking to the chicks could possibly be explained by low humidity.
    But it sounds like the humidity is good at 65%.
    Is your hygrometer calibrated?
    Only if the bator is being opened to remove earlier hatching chicks could the humidity drop enough to cause membranes to stick to chicks.
    That could possibly explain chicks being delayed by sticking membranes.
    Those are my ideas on the topic. Hopefully someone that knows more will be able to explain this.
    Carolyn

3. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    It sounds like your temps are too low. I know you said they were 100-101. You might try getting a couple of thermometers to verify those numbers. I use the dry incubation method described in the learning pages. Also you can get some incubation troubleshooting help here: http://www.poultryhelp.com/inctrouble.html

4. Sooner

Sooner My kids Mom!

Mar 22, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I am interested in tring the dry incubation! Do you have a turner?? I have eggs due to hatch on Sat and new eggs ordered that will go in as soon as these hatch.

Questions:

Do you have a turner?
    Do you follow the instructions with the water? Letting it dry out for 12-18 hours??

Any other tips?

Thanks!

Sorry to the origional poster that I don't have any advice for you.

5. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Yes I do have a turner, but decided not to use it with the current hatch since I had more eggs than it would hold. I am incubating in egg cartons and just tilt them one way and then the other. Yes, I let it get dry for about 12 hours. Calibrate your hygrometer (see my web page--near the bottom) to be sure you are on target with your humidities.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Peepfreek...what kind of incubator are you using? If you're using a still air it sounds like not only are your temps too low, but that you've got some really cold and hot spots in it. The goopy later hatching chicks sounds like the humidity is off too.

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    If you incubator is a still air there are often cool pockets. Is humidity 65 for the whole time? Try keeping it at 35-40 % for the first 18 days and then 65% on the last three days. when you turn your eggs, you might switch the position in the incubator around. If you have a turner, you can also open it ever few days and switch them to different positions.

Check you thermometer against a medical thermometer with mercury, they are rarely off. Also check the hygrometer. Here is the link on how to do that. http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_4.htm

If
    this has happened to you several times then something is off, making some adjustments will help.

8. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    I have one GOF table top preset,and the outher 2 are the sportsman ,and when you say let them go dry are you talking about in the incubator the last 12 hours ,and yes all of mine have truners in them ,and the hatcher is the big GQF Sportman also,and I do have a humity and temp gages in the hatcher and also a dry temp thermator,but they still are staggard if 100 to 101 is not hot enough what should it be,and I thought 65% himity would be enough thanks all.any ideas very welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by