hatch date questions

kylee2katie

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Stuttgart, Arkansas
I have a muskovy, who started setting on April 1st. She is setting on her eggs, pekin eggs, and mallard eggs....all fathered by my two mallards. The last time I looked closely, there were over 30 eggs under her! She is quite the good momma - so far! She just turned 1 year old and this is the first clutch I've let her keep. Since she has 3 different breed of eggs under her, how will this affect the hatching? Will she continue to set until all are hatched? Do I need to move the babies as they hatch to another space? Help! I thought the girls would all set on their own eggs - I didn't realize they would have a community nest and one momma do all the setting!
They are in a 10x10 kennel with a top, 2 plastic dog houses with hay, and a pool. Do I need to build a temporary shelter for momma and the babies once they arrive? How soon after hatching should I move them? I know it is a lot of questions, but I know time is running out....

What if I simplify my questions:

1. If set date was April 1 - when will: a. Mallard eggs hatch
b. Pekin eggs hatch
c. Muskovy eggs hatch

2. Do I wait for all to hatch before moving momma and babies to another location?

3. Since she is setting on over 30 eggs, do I need to move some of the babies while waiting for the others to hatch?

Anyone have suggestions?

This is the house the eggs are in:

56653_img_1068.jpg

56653_img_1069.jpg

This is the pen:
56653_img_1157.jpg

Last edited:
The Muscovy eggs will take a couple of days longer to hatch. I don't know how that will affect your duck sitting on the nest.

Maybe you could have an incubator ready and if it looks like she is going to abandon the Muscovy eggs when the ducklings hatch, you could put the remaining eggs into the incubator for a couple of days until they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom