Hatch Day Questions????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krazychickylady, May 3, 2016.

1. krazychickylady

krazychickylady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Its Hatch Day!! hooray.... I gave 12 eggs to a local kindergarten class, that incubated the eggs for me as a class project.. its hatch day... 1 chick is out.... 2 are cracked....one is shaking....the others are not showing signs yet... my question is, since they are at a school and not in my care, will it be fine if I leave them all in the incubator until tomorrow? will the one that is already hatched out be fine waiting until the others hatch?? so that way I can pick them all up together tomorrow,,,, thanks

2. Kaitlynn679

Kaitlynn679 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    Kansas
    They will be fine

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Yep they will be ok :D
    I leave mine in for 24 hours, hatch is usually done by then. After the 24 hours I move the dry ones to the brooder and any wet or damp ones stay in a little longer untill dry and fluffy. Generally when you have hatched ones in the incubator they encourage the others to get a move.

They live off the yolk they absorb prior to hatch so don't need food and water immediately after hatch.

Good luck with your new chicks :clap

4. krazychickylady

krazychickylady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    all worked out ok.. the teacher is going to put them under heat light and feed/water till friday, so that all the kids can watch them for a couple of days. We ended up with 5 that hatched out of 12... so a little bummed about that .. I really thought that I had better fertility rate then that... but I have no control over how she incubated.. what could help me have a better hatch rate??
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by