hatch/egg carton

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the simple life, May 4, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read someone mentioned that at some point during incubation you take the eggs off of the turner and put them in an egg carton.
    Can someone please explain this for me.
    This is my first hatch coming up and I thought that you left the eggs in until hatch.

2. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Day 18 instead of just sitting them in the incubator you put them in an egg carton in thhe incubator. That way the first ones to hatch dont kick the other eggs all over the place. Also gives them something to push against so they can theoretically break out faster. Type it into the search and you can find lots of threads on the subject. I am on day 11 of my first hatch. I think I am gonna try it.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I use a turner in one of my incubators...you stop the turner on the evening of day 18 and take it out of the bator, it can cause damage to your chicks hatching, they can get caught in it even if its stopped.......I lay my eggs on their sides on the wire floor...some have started using egg cartons I have never done that so they would have to chime in.....

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you , that makes sense.Can you let us know how that goes for you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by