Hatch in brooder or hatch with flock? Help!

Farias1124

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 12, 2013
Roy, Washington
So I've got two barred rock eggs under my little bantam on day 16. This is my first go with trying to hatch. I candled on day 7 and 14 and saw huge change each time.

My question is can I leave the chicks to hatch in with the rest of the flock or do I need to seperate "momma" and the eggs into a brooder in the shop? My dilemma is I'm not too fond of having chicks in the shop again and I don't have an incubator.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks BYC!

Brian

Last edited:
Mama should be able to take care of the babies just fine. Just make sure there is a place where they have access to food and water at all times. I like to make a little "chick diner" out of whatever I have on hand at the time. It is a place to put food and water where the chicks can get in and out, but the adults can't. It can also be a place they can hide if someone pesters them too much. That way they can be safe while mama teaches some manners to the other chicken. If you have a good rooster, he should help to teach and to protect the babies as well.
The only times this may not work out is if mama is at the very bottom of the pecking order and other hens pick on her ruthlessly. Sometimes even mama hormones can't overcome that. Or if you have a bad rooster. If your roo treats the hens well, then he should be a good chick daddy too. Or if you have any really vicious hens, like mean to others just for the sake of being mean. Any of these scenarios could mean the babies could get injured.
I always allow my broodies to raise their babes with the flock. That's part of the appeal of a broody, no brood raising on your part! However, I don't have any of those conditions listed above, because I cull ruthlessly to eliminate them.

Mama should be able to take care of the babies just fine.  Just make sure there is a place where they have access to food and water at all times.  I like to make a little "chick diner" out of whatever I have on hand at the time.  It is a place to put food and water where the chicks can get in and out, but the adults can't.  It can also be a place they can hide if someone pesters them too much.  That way they can be safe while mama teaches some manners to the other chicken.  If you have a good rooster, he should help to teach and to protect the babies as well.
The only times this may not work out is if mama is at the very bottom of the pecking order and other hens pick on her ruthlessly.  Sometimes even mama hormones can't overcome that.  Or if you have a bad rooster.  If your roo treats the hens well, then he should be a good chick daddy too.  Or if you have any really vicious hens, like mean to others just for the sake of being mean.  Any of these scenarios could mean the babies could get injured.
I always allow my broodies to raise their babes with the flock.  That's part of the appeal of a broody, no brood raising on your part!  However, I don't have any of those conditions listed above, because I cull ruthlessly to eliminate them.

Great info thank you. What is your definition of a "bad rooster"? This is my first roo and I feel he's a good guy. He's friendly with the family minus our dog but he's pretty gentle with our hens. Really vigilant, great protector and is always there to break up little tifs between girls.

Our bantam is the only one in our flock and by far the smallest but she's always held her own. I would place her maybe bird 4-5 our of 9 not including our roo. We don't have too many pecking order issues but of course there is the occasional chicken battle royale.

Brian

Great info thank you. What is your definition of a "bad rooster"? This is my first roo and I feel he's a good guy. He's friendly with the family minus our dog but he's pretty gentle with our hens. Really vigilant, great protector and is always there to break up little tifs between girls.

Our bantam is the only one in our flock and by far the smallest but she's always held her own. I would place her maybe bird 4-5 our of 9 not including our roo. We don't have too many pecking order issues but of course there is the occasional chicken battle royale.

Brian
Sounds like you have a good roo. I had a bad roo and he bullied the hens and chicks. He also kinda puffed up at me a few times like he was challenging me. I put him in a pot of dumplins. The roo I have now patrols the coop at night, shares treats with the girls, and is protective of the hens. He is not overly aggressive with mating and doesn't pluck my girls bald. He is also very sweet to me and loves to eat out of my hand. I kept him in a roo coop until I had enough hens and put him with the girls the other day. We are all happy with the arrangement so far. I can't wait to see how he does around chicks.

Brian
Sounds like you have a good one.
thumbsup.gif
A "bad rooster" can manifest in a lot of ways. Not guarding and protecting the girls, being mean and aggressive with them, shoving them out of the way to eat first rather than doing the food cluck to call them and give them the best bits, etc. A roo who acts like you have described will most likely be really great with the chicks as well, and help mama protect them.

Awesome. I'm leaning towards the hatching with the flock idea. If I see a problem concerning them getting injured or killed I'll give them to my neighbor. Thanks a lot guys!

Brian

Morning all. Great news... We had our first hatched chick this morning.
1f604.png

This little guy is 1 of 2 eggs we let our young broody bantam sit on. (Not her eggs) Not the greatest pic because I didn't want to hassle mama or the baby's. Still waiting on chick #2 to make an appearance but I can hear chirps so I assume it won't be too long.

Dad is a barred rock and mom can either be barred rock, RIR, buff Orp or blue Langshan. I know it's not the greatest pic but does anyone have any guesses?

Anyways I'm pretty excited and I know my 6yr old daughter is going to go crazy. Great start to my day. Have a good day everyone.

Brian

Morning all. Great news... We had our first hatched chick this morning.
1f604.png

This little guy is 1 of 2 eggs we let our young broody bantam sit on. (Not her eggs) Not the greatest pic because I didn't want to hassle mama or the baby's. Still waiting on chick #2 to make an appearance but I can hear chirps so I assume it won't be too long.

Dad is a barred rock and mom can either be barred rock, RIR, buff Orp or blue Langshan. I know it's not the greatest pic but does anyone have any guesses?

Anyways I'm pretty excited and I know my 6yr old daughter is going to go crazy. Great start to my day. Have a good day everyone.

Brian

Awww.
love.gif
What a little cutie. Waking to find a new little fuzzy is always a great way to start any day!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom