Hatch rate and splayed legs

DaveMorehouse

Songster
7 Years
Nov 28, 2016
Lake Superior in upper Michigan
I must begin by thanking everyone here at BYC for their help and this huge pool of information. For an incubating newbie this site has been a godsend.

I ended up setting 48 eggs in the incubator. The USPS had been pretty rough with them so I let them sit at room temp for 24 hours first.

My hatch rate was poor. I ended up with 10 quail. Two of the cam late and their legs are splayed out from their bodies. I'm not certain what to do with them just yet. One more was smaller and much weaker than the rest but seems to be coming around. The remaining seven are genuine skitterbugs.

Thoughts on how I should handle the splayed leg birds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Dave

Last edited:
Hey there! Grats on your hatch :3! This is a good resource for fixing splayed legged chicks -

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html?m=1

You'll probably want some help from someone else, quail chicks are so tiny :p

I've heard of people also using cut up band aids.

May also want to check out their toes and see if they straight and normal, might need some tape shoes for a day or so :p

Thanks, Binki. This will prove helpful.
Cheers,
Dave

Quail usually only need about 24 hours in 'hobbles' to fix splayed legs. A strip of bandaid is usually the easiest. Babies can be skittish if you are reaching down on them from above but our first Japanese quail chicks grew up in a plastic storage box and we had some very friendly adults.

What kind of quail have you hatched? Japanese quail chicks usually like to cuddle, for the first week at least (but do handle them lots), but I found our Buttons to be very skittish and wild. Whatever they are, aren't they adorable? Love quail babies!

Quail usually only need about 24 hours in 'hobbles' to fix splayed legs.
Thanks. We were wondering how long to leave them braced up.

What kind of quail have you hatched?
Coturnix. These are our first attempt at hatching and we stayed with what seemed most common. We have had chickens for several years but always got them as pullets. Chicks are so much more fun. We have 15 CX in one brooder and 10 Coturnix in another one.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
Dave

I had several babies with splayed legs. I only bandaged one of them and it kicked off the bandaid after 24 hours but was walking around well at that point. I changed from puppy pads to paper towels for the first couple of days and the rest seemed to resolve on their own. Now I cannot tell the difference and mine are 1.5 weeks old. They already look like little quail instead of chipmunks. It is AMAZING how fast these guys grow! Good luck!

Thanks, Dawn. I hope my two splayed-leggers do as well. (The third didn't make it through the night.) The other seven "chipmunks" are running around like they own the place. My brooder is 30" x 48" and 14 inches high. I built it out of old plywood and 2x2s.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thanks, Dawn. I hope my two splayed-leggers do as well. (The third didn't make it through the night.) The other seven "chipmunks" are running around like they own the place. My brooder is 30" x 48" and 14 inches high. I built it out of old plywood and 2x2s.

I "coated" my bottom and few inches up of my brooder by screwing down some scrap plastic flooring - great for disinfecting and keeping it dry :)

They also like to start trying to fly spontaneously so I used this bird netting to safely contain them as they're apt to hit it when experimenting xD

I added a shelf and use it in the garage when I'm not brooding as a place to hold groups while I clean their hutch before they go out to the aviary soon (yayyy no more real cage cleaning for them til winter hehe).

It has two big doors open in front for easy cleaning and I plan on adding a plexiglass window for the chicks next time I brood so they can not only see up but out into the room :p might keep the side window covered for the first week or so to keep them calm and focused on their food :)

View attachment 1018714 View attachment 1018715

I "coated" my bottom and few inches up of my brooder by screwing down some scrap plastic flooring - great for disinfecting and keeping it dry :)

They also like to start trying to fly spontaneously so I used this bird netting to safely contain them as they're apt to hit it when experimenting xD

I added a shelf and use it in the garage when I'm not brooding as a place to hold groups while I clean their hutch before they go out to the aviary soon (yayyy no more real cage cleaning for them til winter hehe).

It has two big doors open in front for easy cleaning and I plan on adding a plexiglass window for the chicks next time I brood so they can not only see up but out into the room :p might keep the side window covered for the first week or so to keep them calm and focused on their food :)

Great set up and I love your supervisor!

Back
Top Bottom