Hatch rate for button quail out of 20 eggs?

NellyShivers

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2021
Hi.
I’ve done hatching before, but not with button quail.
Using a decent-good tier incubator, how many eggs would hatch if the initial amount of eggs was 20?

It really depends on the eggs. Have tested the fertility of the birds that they're coming from? Have they been shipped? How old are they?

In ideal conditions, you could get 100% hatch rate. If they've been shipped, you might expect 50%. If your incubator conditions aren't just right, lower the hatch rate. Lower the hatch rate if they're over 7 days old. It's really hard to say. There's a reason for the saying "Don't count your chickens before they hatch." It goes for quail too.

If conditions are bad enough, you could get a 0% hatch rate.

Ah, I see.
I have the carton of eggs here at my house, they were shipped— package got here a couple of hours ago. I would say they are more than 7 days old judging by how long it took them to get to my place and where the seller lives. Thankfully the incubator conditions are pretty good; the incubator I own worked well all of the other times I used it without any major problems. I’m not really worried about fertility.
Thanks for your insight. That makes a lot of sense and was easy to understand! Unfortunately from what I can tell my hatch rate would probably be (like 20-30%) going by your standards. Hmmm.

Ah, I see.
I have the carton of eggs here at my house, they were shipped— package got here a couple of hours ago. I would say they are more than 7 days old judging by how long it took them to get to my place and where the seller lives. Thankfully the incubator conditions are pretty good; the incubator I own worked well all of the other times I used it without any major problems. I’m not really worried about fertility.
Thanks for your insight. That makes a lot of sense and was easy to understand! Unfortunately from what I can tell my hatch rate would probably be (like 20-30%) going by your standards. Hmmm.
Good luck!

Ah, I see.
Let us know how it goes I'm interested

Everyone gets so wrapped up in 'hatch rate'. Hatch rate means nothing, if all things are equal, meaning that the incubator is stable, holds temp and humidity, your still not going to hatch many eggs if the fertility is low or non-existent.

Shipping does effect the eggs but sometimes I've had 100% hatch from shipped eggs, (7 days or older) others that I got locally, (under 3 days old) I had 10 to 0% hatch. So it does matter if they are fertile.

With any incubation, you will have a certain % that stop developing early, mid way through and late (dis) or will pip then die or die soon after hatching....some people count those that hatched but died in their hatch rate, so that's not an accurate hatch rate....was it fertile, yes but not indicative of a high hatch rate.

Alot of suppliers of hatching eggs will ship eggs they know are not fertile or old eggs, and misshapen eggs but they advertise they have high hatch rates....that's the 'catch line'. If you have been hatching eggs for anytime at all, you will know that hatch rates will vary from person to person due to the various methods of incubation that are used and the experince and knowledge each one has with the incubation process.

Button eggs appear to ship better than larger eggs. I've always had good results with them but I have noticed that buttons have better fertility then other birds.

Good Luck with our hatch!

I had a 43% hatch rate out of a set of 23 eggs that were shipped and then neglected for a few days because they were sent to a friend with an egg-eating snake, who then handed them off to me because 'why not'

I have started incubating a set of 21 eggs from my adult birds just yesterday, all eggs are 8 days or younger. I'll post updates when they pop on the 6-8th of August. :) I do agree with Sean's remarks above, but will nonetheless try to add another data point to the discussion which presumes fertility, no shipping insults, a reasonable storage time, and no damage to the eggs prior to incubation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom