Hatch rate incubator vs genetics

Tbrad

Chirping
Jul 20, 2022
Most of our eggs hatched but in one incubator about 50% haven't hatched and we are on day 23.

If the other chicks that hatched are healthy and hatched on day 20, can we rule out that it was humidity/temperature and that it was more likely weak genes or is it something else?

Most of our eggs hatched but in one incubator about 50% haven't hatched and we are on day 23.

If the other chicks that hatched are healthy and hatched on day 20, can we rule out that it was humidity/temperature and that it was more likely weak genes or is it something else?
Did you calibrate the thermometer and hygrometer for that incubator? Where did you get your hatching eggs?

Did you calibrate the thermometer and hygrometer for that incubator? Where did you get your hatching eggs?
I did have issues with the hygrometer/thermometer so I had 3 in there. All 3 read different things. Everything was going well until the thermometer accidently got wet and I guess never fully recovered. I went by the most accurate from the calibration which was analog rather than digital.

Either way though, my question is if other chicks hatched well, why would it make a difference for the other 3 when they were all in the same space. If it was the temp/humidity why would some do better than others?

I did have issues with the hygrometer/thermometer so I had 3 in there. All 3 read different things. Everything was going well until the thermometer accidently got wet and I guess never fully recovered. I went by the most accurate from the calibration which was analog rather than digital.
I can’t tell you the exact cause, but I can tell you that just because some survived doesn’t mean it couldn’t of been a temp/humidity issue.
Either way though, my question is if other chicks hatched well, why would it make a difference for the other 3 when they were all in the same space. If it was the temp/humidity why would some do better than others?
Because some embryos are hardier than others. If it was a temp/humidity issue it’s possible that some can survive. Have you heard of chicks hatching after being abandoned by broody hens? Nature‘s weird in that way…but also provides a basis for natural selection.

Back
Top Bottom