hatch rate percentage for still air

Mike Fuson

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
I was wondering what kind of hatch rate you all have with a still air incubator. I have one of the small styrofoam type with 35 eggs in it and Monday was day 21. I have only had about 12 to hatch and 2 of those died. Not a very good rate. The other two times that I have used it the results were similiar. I don't have an automatic turner (friend told me they were useless?) so I turn them by hand 8am and then again at 8pm. That might not be enough. By the way these eggs are fertile, I cracked a couple open had chick in them that were alive but only for a moment. So any thoughts would be appreciated.

I had an 89% hatch rate. I only had 9 eggs. It was my only
incubation & hatch. My temps spiked and fell. I had no turner. I hand turned 2 to 3 times a day. I had no schedule, I just turned when I thought about it.

LG still air. I can't tell you what went right or wrong. I just
don't know.

Were your eggs shipped? I know someone who as had no luck with shipped eggs but does great with her own.

Don't give up.

I am using an LG still air. I started with 12 eggs and lost 7 of those eggs within the first week. Two cracked the same day they went in for unknown reasons (we think it was actually due to shipping, not the bator.) and the others stuck to the turner and cracked thereafter.

As for the remaining 5, so far so good. I am on day 18 so we will see what happens. The only problem I had was a slight temp spike the first day, but after we got that fixed it has maintained a steady temp of about 100.

I am hoping that the 5 remaining eggs will hatch! I was so discouraged to lose so many so quickly.

I use a little giant still air and I turned almost every day but I forgot to do it somedays but I got a 50% hatch and it was my first hatch and my eggs were shipped also. I am happy with my hatch

I use a still air and had 100% hatch last batch - 11 eggs. I had put 12 in and when I candled after 1 week (brown eggs) one needed to be discarded so I still consider this a 100%. Just watch the humidity and dang those digital thermometers..........they make life crazy trying to keep the temps just right!

Back
Top Bottom