Mar 22, 2008
Western Kentucky
How do you figure you hatch rate.

Set 47
3 got broke
11 didn't develop
25 hatched so far
I see one more piping.

So do you do the 25 out of the 33 good eggs? What is the math to figure it?

They where not shipped. They got broke when the door on the bator was opened. I built a bator out of a mini fridge. It does better than the styro jobs you buy. I have a turner with the plastic inserts, an they came loose. So when i opened the door they fell out and broke.

I don't count the clear ones or broken ones. Clear tends to be a fertility issue, which doesn't have bearing when figuring out a hatch's success. Unless of course you are testing for fertility.

I count all eggs that weren't killed by me (like dropping, something that will kill them)
So I had a 83% hatch rate 20/24, 2 infertile/never developed and 2 died in a temp spike on day 17.

Last edited:
I would like to know this too. I am just starting this incubating thing and I am not a math person. I should know how...but...I don't. So, how did you figure out you had a 83% hatch rate?

In the purest since an egg that does not hatch is a failure. eggs fail for many reasons. So in that case you have 25 of 47 or 25/47. The (/) sign means divide. 25 divided by 47 is 0.532 or a 53.2% hatch rate. Now that would give you a complete picture of your success with eggs and all mishaps or infertility issues etc. if you are trying to target a specific portion of your success, say fertility percentage then you just take the number of infertile eggs and divide that by the total of eggs etc. If you are trying to figure out how well your bator is working you might want to only use the number of eggs that started developing as the total number of eggs set.

In this case 3/47 or 6.4% loss due to bator design.
11/47 or 23.4% infertility
25/47 or 53.2% Hatched
leaving 8/47 or 17% not known yet

If you want to know how well your bator did and remove all infertile or broken eggs it is then 25/33 for a 75.8% hatch rate and counting. Not bad, now you just need to get your roo in gear and remember eggs are fragile and you are top drawer.

Last edited:
So mine would be 25 divided by 33 which would be about 0.757 which would make it 76% right?

I have 5 eggs left and 3 are hatching now so hopefully it will go up.

Last edited:
I would like to know this too. I am just starting this incubating thing and I am not a math person. I should know how...but...I don't. So, how did you figure out you had a 83% hatch rate?

Take the number hatched (in my case 20) divided by the number set (in my case 24) 20/24= .83333333.... you take the first two #s and that's your %, if the 3rd # is 5 or above you round up like .835 would give you 84%. Does that make sense?​

Back
Top Bottom