hatch time! but Mama seems confused!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Dec 9, 2009.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    We have 8 out of 13 hatched and fluffy so far. I also have one new and still wet and 2 pips. But mama hen keeps going in and out of the nest wanting her fluffy babies to eat and when she gets back in the nest she steps on the new one and the eggs (not so graceful!) should I move the new baby and the pips to the bator until they are hatched and dry? I am worried her getting on and off is not good for them and the change in temp, this last one that hatched has had me so worried! I woke up this morning and it had zipped but the egg had been moved from all the shifting and new chicks the egg was cold! but he was still chirping. I pushed it under her and he has finally finished hatching. Do you think he will be ok? At this point the hen just won't stay put in one spot but yet not off the nest for longer than ten min. I have a light going to keep it warm when she gets up... any suggestions??? I have one pip, one zipping and one chirping and scratching in the egg but no pip yet, the first pip was around 1:30p Monday and hatched sometime between 5am and 10am Monday.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

When my hens are broody and hatch I have a small bowl of food within reach for her and water also (put rocks or marbles in the water so chicks do not drown). The broody should be able to reach the food/water without having to leave her nest; this allows her to still set yet feed her new chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] for chicks and a Broody mom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by