Hatch Troubles

Dany

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Hey everyone,

I have roughly 24 chicken eggs in my bator, first timer here. The development seemed to be going good while candling trough incubation. On day 19, 3 chicks hatched, one didnt make it after pipping, and 1 more hatched on day 20. It is now day 22 and there has been no progress since. Is there still hope? After leaving town to work for a few days the Mrs watched over the temp, and she said it dropped from 100f to roughly 96-98f, on day 18 and 19. Do you think that had anything to do with it? I was worried so I candled a few of the eggs today and I couldnt see much other than a dark mass, and no specific movement in the eggs. Any input would be appreciated.

If it were me I would wait a few more days, I have been told that hatches can take as long as twenty five days to complete; however anything after twenty five days most likely will not hatch.

We just had three stuck in membranes who hatched at 26 days. I've heard of 27. It is possible... just less likely for each passing day after 25.

Thanks for the input. I will hold on tight for a few more days. I will post the outcome.

one chick hatched on day 25 the last time I used the incubator...so I will now continue to just let the bator go until day 25...can't think why I wouldn't give this a try....have a great hatch..g

I will leave my eggs in for a couple days after my hatch seems "done" I usually have a early hatch too, day 18 pips and most hatch 19 into 20. I usually don't have any hatches out of the eggs I leave in after the others hatch, I think if you had an early hatch of chicks that did hatch and the eggs were all incubated together those other eggs should have also been on schedule for an early hatch, so the eggs that didn't hatch aren't real likely to hatch but keep them in a couple days just to be sure.

What was your humidity during this incubation period? 3 or 4 chicks out of 24 eggs is a pretty poor hatch rate, it would lead me to think either high humidity drowned most of the chicks or caused them to grow so large they couldn't position themselves to pip or else very low humidity shrink wrapped them, these seem to be the 2 most common problems for very poor hatches with high humidity being more common, that is considering the temperature stayed consistent for the most part.

Day 24 and there hasnt been any hatching. I had the humidity from day 1-18 at 50% and day 18+ at 65%. I will be candling and opening them up tonight as we will be gone over the weekend.Thanks for all your help!

Day 24 and there hasnt been any hatching. I had the humidity from day 1-18 at 50% and day 18+ at 65%. I will be candling and opening them up tonight as we will be gone over the weekend.Thanks for all your help!

Candle quickly. Listen for pips, movements. Don't give up hope quite yet. Sometimes there are late arriving chicks that will surprise you. Often there are chicks that arrive on time, but sometimes there are additional late arrivals.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom