Hatched chick covered in yolk?

Emmajanesmommy

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2020
I couldn't pass up the two remaining jubilee eggs sitting on the sales counter at my favorite hatchery... I knew it was late in the year for a hatch to be fully feathered before the first frost, but I couldn't resist the urge!🤣 One egg didn't make it past day 14, but one hatched an hour ago...covered in yolk. Seems like a normal chick, moving around, resting, etc.... No external yolk sac attached...just sticky feathers. I washed it in warm water and put it back in the bator to dry...

Can someone tell me what happened? Humidity too high? Anomaly?

I couldn't pass up the two remaining jubilee eggs sitting on the sales counter at my favorite hatchery... I knew it was late in the year for a hatch to be fully feathered before the first frost, but I couldn't resist the urge!🤣 One egg didn't make it past day 14, but one hatched an hour ago...covered in yolk. Seems like a normal chick, moving around, resting, etc.... No external yolk sac attached...just sticky feathers. I washed it in warm water and put it back in the bator to dry...

Can someone tell me what happened? Humidity too high? Anomaly?
Are you sure it was yolk? Can you post pics? What was humidity at during incubation and at lockdown?

It was a yellow sticky substance, covered the entire chick. Shell isn't yucky though, looks like a normal hatch? Humidity was 63?

As you mentioned, sticky chicks can be the result of too-high humidity during incubation...if humidity was 63% throughout, I'd consider that generally too high and likely responsible for the goop on the chick. This article may be helpful.

Good for you for washing the goop off (it can harden like concrete) and congrats on your chick!

It was 63 at lockdown...40-50 before that...its hard to regulate the incubator with one egg in it...built for 40+

Back
Top Bottom