1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hatched chicks rolling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alltheprettychickens, May 18, 2009.

1. alltheprettychickens

alltheprettychickens New Egg

May 18, 2009
    Should I turn them back? I have one hatched and he've moved almost all the others. I know not to open it, but i've also heard of chicks drowning if they pip on the bottom...HELP! Its my first time!
    Thanks!

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

This issue is why I started hatching in an egg carton...the first ones hatched can't roll the other eggs around. At this point in time you'll probably do more harm than good if you open the bator.

3. alltheprettychickens

May 18, 2009
    ok. that stinks.
    so I'm completely unable to do anything? Is it major? Certain death?

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Katy is my buddy and hatches in egg cartons, it works for her.

I've never hatched in egg cartons and mine just sit on the wire in the bator and they hatch out just fine. The hatched chicks will knock the eggs around but mine have always hatched out without problems. I find the chicks stimulate the unhatched to get to pipping and zipping out.

Leave the bator closed it does more harm than good at this stage.

Patience.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Mine do it all the time and I have never had a problem. You should be fine.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Tuff is right bumper chicks stimulate and help the others. They don't weigh enough to do harm. Just leave it. Opening the darn thing would do ten times the harm.

7. alltheprettychickens

May 18, 2009
    Oh Goood! Thanks for the reasurance! I was really concerned i had a doomsday situation here, with two kids as onlookers! We've got 1 out, 2 pips and 4 to go-sooooooo excited! Hope these babies want to come meet us soon![​IMG]

8. Frizzled

Frizzled Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hatched out 10 out of 12 eggs, the first couple that hatched early rolled the others all over the place. Had me worried about the others, but I guess it didn't hurt them to back I have 10 happy healthy chicks. The other 2 didn't develop at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by