Hatched in the carton! Pic heavy!

hart31

Songster
12 Years
Jan 16, 2008
Bowbells, ND
Here are pics of the chicks from eggs left in a carton.
firsthatch001_4.jpg

First out of the carton

firsthatch002_4.jpg

Look at us

firsthatch008_4.jpg

nap time

firsthatch009_4.jpg

look at my sister zip!

firsthatch012_4.jpg

What's that pointed thing?

firsthatch013_4.jpg

Almost zipped!

firsthatch015_4.jpg

Almost out

firsthatch024_4.jpg

I want out!

firsthatch025_4.jpg

I made it!

firsthatch026_4.jpg

Gotta rest a minute!

firsthatch027_4.jpg

That was a long fall!

firsthatch030_4.jpg

Guess I haven't got my "land legs" yet!

Last edited:
Did you leave them in the carton for the whole incubation time? Did you turn them? Nice pics!

They were turned by tipping the carton back & forth using a piece of styrofoam as a block underneath it.

They were incubated in a bator made from an old black& white tv case and an electric fry pan control for a thermostat. Then they were moved to a hatcher made from an old printer case with a plexiglass cover. It uses a thermostat from an electric water heater. This was the first batch hatched in it. Great view, and worked super well for pics except for some reflections in the cover.

I noticed you have holes in the cartons. I didn’t do that for my RIR’s do you think that will make a difference? I’m on day 21 and nothing. My other ones I had only three hatched out of 15. I did have them in a turner until day 18. But no holes in the cartons. What do you think?
he.gif
sad.png

I just completed my hatch using the carton method. Had 27 to hatch out of 30. So that is great I think. I put a disposable liner under the cartons and when all was done I just picked it all up by the corners and walla! mess is all gone.

Great hatch and very good work on your equipment. Congrats.

Ginbart, The eggs do need good air circulation so poking holes in the carton could very well make a difference. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom