Hatched my first chicks

BlackAce

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
I picked up some Rhode Island Reds off eBay. I bought a dozen and the seller sent me 2 extra. One had broke in transit and so we had a total of 13. I candle them every few days to check on the progress but it wasn't looking to good. Finally on the 21st day (which was on the 27th) we had two out of the 13 hatch. Two still look like they are developing, I've read that they could be almost a week behind so I'm leaving those two in the incubator for another week and see if I get lucky.

I made my own incubator and I was surprised that any of them hatched at all. Total cost was less than $20

Now I'm hoping that I have one male and one female chick. lol

I also bought 6 Cayuga Duck eggs which was perfect timing cause I received them today. I bought them off eBay too, but from a different seller and hoping I get better results from this one. I was sent 8 and all arrived safely with no breakage. I'm gonna use the incubator I made again and see how these do. If I don't have any luck I'm going to buy one. The only problem that I seem is controlling the temperature. I cant keep it at a steady temperature. It's usually around 98 - 101, I don't know if that would affect the incubation.

I'm looking to have about maybe 6 chickens and about 4 ducks or less depending on egg productions. This is mainly for personal consumption.

Last edited:
I think temps moving around that much could delay hatch time. I used a still air in the beginning now I only use forced air and wouldn't go back. Best investment I've made so far...good luck to you!

I didn't want to spend a ton of money on an incubator, since I'm not going having to many chickens or ducks. This is the only time I'm going to use the incubator. Once they are full grown I'll let mother nature do the rest, if I want more of them. I'm happy that I have 2 but I just ordered 6 more Rhode Island Reds since I'm not sure if I have males or females. I'd be happy if I get maybe 2 to 4 then and have at least one male.

Also, I was thinking that since the incubator is tall that could be the reason why I'm getting a fluctuation in the temperature. If I could shorten it I think I could maintain it better.

I think you're right about the height issue...shorter would give less room for the heat to move all around. Good luck with it!!!

blackace, as you probably know, free advise is usually worth what you're paying for it (sometimes less), but i'm going to give some anyway. one thing about hatching duck eggs is that the humidity has to be higher than for chicken eggs. it might be because their shells are thicker, but i'm guessing at this. temperature is the most important thing, of course, but after having a 95% hatch rate for a batch of chicken eggs, i filled the incubator with muscovy duck eggs, and had a terrible hatch - only 3 out of 24 eggs, and they weren't even sent through the mail, which usually results in a poorer hatch. the frustrating aspect of this was that most of them developed all the way, started pipping, then couldn't make it and died in the shell. i'm not sure it was the result of the humidity being too low, but i think that was the problem. i don't know how you measure humidity in your home made incubator, but you should give it extra attention when hatching duck eggs in it. good luck.

If I remember right the humidity was always about 65-70%. But I don't the problem with humidity but regulating a constant temperature. Would lining the inside of the incubator with aluminum foil be a good idea?

Right now I have the Cayuga eggs in there and also just bought more Rhode Island Red eggs. I'm hoping to get a better hatch rate this time or at least I'm gonna try to. Lol

Back
Top Bottom