hatched with bent toes - can't stand

ChickGrandma

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
My daughter is really the chick hatcher in the family - driven by a science fair. One of the chicks hatched with curled toes on one foot and was having a difficult time standing. My daughter had read online about making a 'shoe' for the foot. She tried to construct a 'shoe' from duck tape which worked OK but was too slippery and the chick still couldn't stand. She then made a 'shoe' by cutting a small fan-shaped piece from non-stick (rubbery) shelf liner for the sole and then used duct tape for the top. It worked wonderfully. Chick could stand and in a week the toes straightened out and could be used normally. Who knew she would turn into a chick orthopedist!!

I like this a lot. Cute
smile.png

Hows the little chick now?

What I do when that happens is I use cloth first aid tape. It comes off easier with out injuring the skin on the chicks feet or foot. I also put down that shelf liner that is cushony (sp). It looks like it's weaved of a soft rubber. I don't know what it's called but it gives them traction. I also give them a drop a day of poly vi sol no iron. After 3 days it's normal. On the occasion it's not I re-boot and continue for another 3 days. I make sure I give a very small drop of vitamins. How I do that is I squeeze all I can get out of the eye dropper and the small srip that drains down the tube is what they get.

I get curled toes when the humidity goes hay wire. I've had a staddle leg or two also. I do chick therapy for that and so far it has worked but i've only had 2 cases.
Anyway. I'm glad its better.

Back
Top Bottom