Hatcheries

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LuggNutt, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LuggNutt

LuggNutt Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Going to be ordering chicks before end of year for delivery early next year.

I have been told that I should use McMurry but don't need 25 birds. Any hatcheries that can be recomended that don't require a min of 25?

BTW, everyone has been so nice and friendly since I joined, you all are a great bunch.

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
  3. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read other posts saying Ideal has a minimum purchase price, not #of chickens. I think some folks have gotten as few as 15 there. MyPetChicken does allow purchasing as few as 3, but shipping is pretty high for that few.

I organized a group order to make the minimum at the hatchery I ordered from. I found the other folks here and on www.craigslist.

Maybe this part of the BYC forum might have more answers to hatchery questions.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=16

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    MPC allows you to order as few as three, but only if you live within certain zip codes, i.e., in a major city.

Ideal (the only one I've dealt with) allows you to order a min. dollar amount, not a min. chick amount.

They will throw in packing peanuts ( free little roos) for warmth. If you don't want packing peanuts, you need to specify that when you order and pay a small shipping insurance fee.

5. RedStarDaddy

RedStarDaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Cackle Hatchery's minimum order is 15 chickens from the end of March through summer. It's 25 from the beginning of February to the end of March.

RSD

6. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Meyer Hatchery allows a min. of 3. They put in some kind of heating pad. It costs about $30 more, but if you only want a few chicks, it may be worth it.

www.meyerhatchery.com

We got our Plymouth Rock and Dominiques from them two years ago. The guy that has them now hasn't had any health problems with them.

7. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    We ordered 8 from Meyer Hatchery back in March. They were extremely friendly on the phone. Unfortunately there was a mix-up at the post office and they sat in the cold for 7 hours. The heating pad cooled off of course. This was not Meyer's fault. They packed the chicks nicely with a nutrient gel which I could tell they had pecked at. I would order from them again.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Have you considered trying to find a local breeder to get your chickens from? This is what I did, and I'm very glad of it.

I got to see verify myself that the breeder's birds were kept in a clean and healthy surroundings, plus the chicks didn't have to go through the stress of shipping. I encountered no pasty butt or chick mortality.

And I also found a local chicken friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by