hatchery birds need answers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by rancher hicks, May 13, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    so i ordered some cm's from ideal. then i bought some cm's from a private farmer. nice kid to me. well i sold/traded some chicks. she wanted dd to show them for 4h.
    now contacts me saying they have rosecombs. none of my birds have rosecombs. only took the eggs darkest so as not to get hatchery eggs.
    now not so sure .
    she also says got double barring.
    now i could think the hatchery girls might be the problem. only have 2 hens. no roos.
    roo is from farmer in the dell. he was very large. the roo not the farmer.
    what am i to think?
    had other chicks none w/ rosecombs.
    has anyone gotten cuckoo marans from ideal?
    i sold the roo cuz he was rough on the girls. so can't breed replacements.
    I don't hsow so no others to offer her. not that i offer show stock.
    didn't know ideal was scamming people with mudblood birds. other birds obviously not pure.
    anyone have cm w/ rose combs? from ideal? other hatchery? other breeders?
    anyone got pics of double barring?
    thanks.
    what would you do to compensate your customer? I will specify on ads i don't not sell show quality birds in the future.

2. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    CM= Cuckoo Marans?

If so they should have a single comb. Rosecomb is dominate to Single comb. If any of your birds were carrying the Rosecomb gene, you would be seeing it in the parents.

By double barring, do you mean double lacing?

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Pictures would help but..
    Marans Should have a single comb..
    Marans should also have white lags and skin..

As for Rose comb being dominate to Single comb, Not all the time. I can cross a single comb RIR to a rosecomb RIR and I will get a good prcentage of both..

Chris

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:now she says it has an "orange" comb and green or blue eyes. a black beak, I hve no pics yet. it's not mine . i sold it as a chick. i don't show and know nothing about cm's or problems in breed.. I leave that to someone else. I just wanted the dark eggs for customers.

how would you solve this problem? I don't breed marans anymore, I sold the roo. problem with the customer. I will post a disclaimer on my selling post on cl from now on.

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    If you sold her a chick you owe her absolutely nothing...the comb didn't change it was there when she took it.As soon as they hatch you can tell a rose comb from single comb.She accepted it when she bought it..now if she didn't know what she was buying that's not your problem either.They should have done their homework and checked the chicks better than they did if all of their claims are there.That may seem harsh I know you want your customers happy but there are some out there that are always looking for ways to cheat you out of what is yours.I'm guessing they want to keep these chicks and have you give them money back or new chicks.Have you tried telling them fine bring them back and I'll refund you the money you paid only no feed etc-thinking they wouldn't like that and may like the chicks better [​IMG]
    Now as far as quality hatcheries don't have show quality birds with few exceptions-every once in awhile a good one will pop out.They breed for production and nothing wrong with that as long as that's what you want but if you want show quality then go to a breeder.
    Finally,unless you stated show quality and priced them as such why would they think they were show quality you don't have to put in the ad they are not show birds to not be held to show quality..pretty much you get what you pay for.That said I have seen some take advantage and sell low quality at high prices.

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Of course you are right and no way is she trying to cheat me. She is my friend and since she is i want her to be happy. Lord knows Ican hatch a hundred chicks. Ive got broodies on eggs now. 3 bunches of eggs. I'm not so into chickens that I couldn't give them away. cept maybe the delawares.
    In fact in the next few days I expect to have chicks coming out my ears. None show though.
    I just feel bad. It takes a long time to get a chickens grown for show. Well anyhow I just wondered about the orange comband green eyes. She got these last fall.
    As soon as these new chicks hatch I'll offer her something. Thanks folks for the responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by