Hatchery Industry, the truth ( Graphic )

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by al6517, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    For those of you who are totally loyal hatchery customers and will defend them and their practices at every turn, verses buying quality well bred birds from a breeder, please view this video and form your own opinions. Please to don't watch if you have an overly sensitive nature. Please try and keep the comments civil and obey the BYC rules.

Activist Video Link removed:

14. No discussions about animal rights organizations or Cock fighting​

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    I don't know if you were supporting the vegan diet as the makers of this video were, but if I was, I wouldn't have chickens or be on this website.
    If the cruelty to the chicks is your main concern, be advised that I ONLY buy chicks from local breeders.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    No not supporting any Vegan agenda, just offering another insight to the way hatcheries do business. I raise meat birds year round. I am not on any side of the issue per say and I am not an activist by any stretch. Just thought another look into the real business of hatcheries is conducted and educate the unwitting hatchery loyalist.

4. Avonlea22

Avonlea22 Jessamine Cottage

Aug 27, 2011
    But that is a hatchery that is producing chickens for egg laying, not for home chicken keepers. I don't know anyone that would defend this type of procedure that loves chickens.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Alot of the same procedures accur in the "home chicken hatcheries" as well, like debecking services, and sexing of breeds, and the actual hatching process. Hatchery Promotional videos only highlight the feel good portion of what they do, not some of the reality. Just offering an open ended disscussion on both sides of the issue whether it be good or bad.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Not saying all hatcheries imploy these practices but how are we to know, and how can you find out, I guess that's the important question.

7. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    Quote:For this part of the issue that would be some valuable info to share with byc participants to have.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The thing is, Hyline Hatchery is a seriously commercial business. Yes, all of them do do terrible things to their chicks, but I think if we should complain about hatcheries we need to show something no one ever or few rarely see . . . . Parent stock and their living conditions. [​IMG]

For those curious - Hyline isn't the only one who does debeaking and destroying of males. [​IMG] If you've ever bought POL pullets from even McMurray you'll notice they are debeaked, and I've heard of very few hatcheries who do responsible things with all of their unpurchased male chicks, especially sex-links.

Chicks you buy from normal hatcheries aren't debeaked because they're being sent straight to you. If they had to be kept to grow longer (example, POL pullets) they'd be debeaked. I'm sure the parent birds to your chicks are.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:X2 very true................. I think the hatchery loyalist need to know what they are contributing to in some way.

10. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Looks like a normal poultry operation to me. Poultry operations like this do the "dirty' work that needs to be done to feed us, that most people don't want to think about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by