Hatchery labeled Australorp with brown/red feathers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RoxyBird, Oct 22, 2012.

1. RoxyBird

RoxyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2012
    I purchased 5 Australorps from our feed store this fall. There were *no* black sex links ordered by this particular store. These were the first chicks of fall and all they had ordered at that point were Australorps and red stars. So, I know the feed store didn't mix them up :)

They all looked very lorpy until I left town for the weekend! 4 had the typical white facial features/bellies/necks of lorp chicks, the fifth looked the same except she is all black around the eyes and beak.

4 are definitely pullets, and feathered in together with big foofy girl-lorp tails- including the pullet in question.

Here's the babies at 2 weeks (pullet in question is frontmost with no white around eyes/beak):

[​IMG]

As you can see, the other 4 are very "lorpish." (I sure do hope other people call them "Lorps"... cracks me up)

Here's a close-up of lady in question at <1 week:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I never questioned the lorp-ness...

HOWEVER, when I returned from my trip this weekend she had some red feathers around her face and neck/chest! Surprise!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did the hatchery make an accidental switcheroo and I ended up with a black star amongst lorps? I'm not complaining, she is super sweet and obviously a total ham for the camera.

I've just never seen lorps go through a red/brown feather stage... Sure they lose those last few white feathers as they mature... but reds?

Anyone have any idea??

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. RoxyBird

Sep 5, 2012
    Also, her back/wing feathers are ruffled because I stole her from the midst of a dust bath... apologies to the lady. She is usually quite sleek and black/green/shiny :)

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    It is possible that she jumped the divider in the shipping box. It happens. She looks like a black sex-link.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    And others call Australorps "Lorps. I call my Orpingtons "Orps" all the time.

5. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I think that she is a mix. Maybe another breed had gotten into the Australorp pen. I do not think that she will lose her red feathers until a molt. I've got one and she looks different. :)

[​IMG]

6. RoxyBird

Sep 5, 2012
    Thank you both! That is a lovely hen!

7. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    I have several hatchery quality "Lorps" (lol) and one has a few brown feathers like yours and one has a few whitish grey feathers under her chin. I'm not sure what hatchery they were from as I got them from a friend.

8. thetigress

thetigress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    Could very well be a Australorp. I have 11 of them and our Roo that was breed between them has reddish-brown wing and back feathers. Well streaks of them. He is 19 weeks old. He was all black at first but them he is turning reddish-Brown. I know he is a Australorp for that is all we had. So yours could very well be the same. They could loose the color later but as of now - who knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by