Hatchery~Show Quality?

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Sequim, WA
I'm wondering if Cackle Hatchery delivers show quality chickens? I'm impressed with their pictures and informaion. I'm looking towards ordering from a hatchery because I have 4 kids that want to show in 4-H and they all want different breeds. It would be easier to get all the different breeds from a hatchery.

I know that breeders like to sell/ship by the dozen but is that a must or personal preference? I kind of wanted chicks but konw they have to be shipped 25+ for warmth. I've never hatched chicks before and don't have a 'bator. Might have to change that.

So what are your thoughts on going about to get some good quality show chickens for my kids (and myself, I am living vicariously through them
wink.png
)

Aaaaawwwwww I have so much to learn! No better place to be then BYC!
caf.gif

Well, to be honest with you, I don't mess with hatchery quality as they are rarely, "show quality." Do some research, pick a few breeds you are interested in and maybe consider contacting a private breeder...atleast that's what I do!
smile.png

100% of the time, a hatchery bird will not look like the picture. Those pictures are a "representation of the breed" and not necessarilly what you'll be getting. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen folks posts pics of thier hatchery stock and everyone is arguing over what breed to call it
roll.png

Do yourself a big favor. If your looking for quality stock, seek a breeder of quality birds... one who breeds for the standard of perfection and not to hustle as many chicks as possible come Spring and Fall.

eta: maybe 100% of the time is overkill. I'd say nearly everytime folks are dissapointed with their hatchery birds when they look into showing and see how far they are from the mark. Some breeds you may have better luck with from a hatchery and some are ALWAYS a big dissapointment.

Last edited:
I wouldnt mess with a hatchery every again either. I got Jersey Giants and they are not Giants by anyone's standards! I decided to invest in an incubator and some great breeders here on BYC. That way i know that i am getting a quality bird and know what lines it comes from. If you do the math on a breed you want, say EE"s....you want 10, that is about $40.00 plus larger shipping because it isnt the required 25 so lets say your order is $60.00 total. Hopefully all the chicks will make it alive but some dont so you are looking at dead chicks that will have to be replaced and if you order from My Pet Chicken the pricing is higher. If you go with McMurrys you will get loads of packing peanuts. Males most of the time that you either have to raise and then eat or give away.
In the long run I decided to pay the $100 for my bator, and then as someone puts up breeds for sale or i find what i am looking for locally i will by the hatching eggs. Simpler and a much better experiance then opening a box that you have waited weeks to get and find over half dead, markings wrong, and no where near show quality!

This is only my opinion.

I generally prefer to buy eggs from reputable breeders. That limits anything you might bring in to your flock. But, I have bought chicks from a reputable breeder who let me mix and match birds to come up with 20. They were still $10 each $12 each after shipping. I was happily surprised, they are from one of the lesser named BC MARANS breeders. Birds came in and appear to be good for conformation.
On the other hand, their are very good hatchery's who sell for breeders when they can not cover an order. There too I have picked up great looking birds for $5 each. Superior is one I heard that has very nice birds. I am sure their are others.
My best suggestion is to go to shows, see what your kids like, and approach those breeders. Exhibition is where you sound like you want to go. So, go and see who has what. And keep an eye out who is doing well at the bigger shows. That info can be found online at places like POULTRY PRESS ( alot of people here LOVE POULTRY PRESS lololol). I find many breeders are very friendly and will help ladies with interested children. Your kids are our future poultry lovers.
GOOD LUCK!

I ordered from Meyers Hatchery and my chickens look just like the picture shows. My buff orpingtons are buff orpingtons, the two EE's that i got from Meyers are really neat. One was a rumpless. The black aussies looked perfect to me. Ive been very pleased. I have 20 hatchery chickens, i will post just a few of them for you to see. Ive read on here several times where kids have taken their hatchery chickens to the fair and did great.

I wanted to buy from a private buyer and it was going to cost me over $100 for 2 chickens. I will post a handful of my hatchery chickens so you cans see if you want to buy from the hatchery or a private buyer. I do believe that if you want an Ameraucan you will need to buy from a private buyer. Im sure that there are top quality breeds that you can buy for showing but if you want backyard chickens then i think the hatcherys are just fine to go with.

Here is one of my EE's, a georgous rumpless.
23509_dsc01888.jpg

23509_dsc02401.jpg

another EE
23509_dsc02390.jpg

one more EE
23509_dsc01854.jpg

Here are my buff orpingtons
23509_dsc02447.jpg
23509_dsc02511.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom