Hatchery stock owners unite!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Domestic_goddess, May 10, 2011.

1. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I buy my chickens from hatheries...If you do too, please join me! HATCHERY STOCK OWNERS UNITE!!![​IMG] We may not be "pure" but we rock! What is with all the "pure" breed hype anyways? I want to hear from my fellow hatchery stock owners.

Almost 5 years ago, I got my first 6 chickens from a feed store in my small farm community! Yes, they all came from a hatchery some where. I like my hatchery chickens, they may not be pure breed...but they have been so much fun, and I enjoy raising my chickens. I have started selling my farm fresh eggs and have many many happy customers!

2. calista

calista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2010
    You got my vote!

I've been raising hatchery stock, heritage breed chickens since the Sixties. We ordered from MM for literally DECADES and never had any problems with the quality of our chicks, which grew up to provide the eggs, meat, and companionship we expected. Some of our birds even placed in our County Fair.

Hatchery stock is affordable and makes the majority of chicken owners who don't plan to show their birds happy. 'Nuf said! [​IMG]

3. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I love my hatchery and feed store chicks!!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Me too! AND my feed store ducks!

I have some birds I've hatched from breeders' eggs I've bought, but they weren't sold as anything but their breed or mix. That is, I didn't pay high dollar for the eggs, and I'm not breeding them. If somebody goes broody in my flock, the chicks which hatch are cross-breeds. I don't care - they're healthy, and happy, and I love 'em!

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. acy0029

acy0029 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Tucson
    Some of the prettiest chicks I've had were back yard mutts. [​IMG]

6. SHillChickMan

SHillChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I love my hatchery chicks as well......

7. Urban Chaos

Urban Chaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2011
    Austin
    My girls are beautiful, they are friendly, they are loved they are Hatchery stock.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My feed store EE rooster has fathered some lovely Delaware/EE (Easterware) daughters and a couple of "pure" EE pullets - they all lay green eggs. My mottled bantam Cochins have fathered some Sebright/Cochin mixes (Cobrights). Another of my bantam Cochin roos has fathered some Cochin/EE chicks (Cheaters? Coasters?).

9. Annie84

Annie84 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    Columbus, MN
    So far, I'm happy with my hatchery babies, they are about a week and a half old now, and healthy. I ordered from McMurray.

10. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    I love my feed store chicks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by