1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hatchery vs. Breeder

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Alex Coffey, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Alex Coffey

Alex Coffey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Hello I'm looking into buying some Barnevelders. I'm going to be placing an order with Meyer Hatchery here with in the next month. I was wondering whether to buy my Barnevelders from Meyer or should I buy them from a breeder. I am planning on breeding them and being able to sale the chicks and hatching eggs and possibly no I have time do a few local chicken shows, so what's y'all's opinions about this?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    My vote would be breeder. If you are looking for show prospects, a show breeder is the best place to go, and it seems that any breed where you are interested in the egg color, you are definitely better off to go to a breeder... in both cases where you can see the eggs/birds from the flock your chicks are coming from. Dark brown egg color especially seems to be really easy to lose if the breeders do not select hard for it. Hatchery birds are more bred for production, not to meet the finer points of the sop.

3. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    I don't know there contact info but research Johan lines or Kelly Cratty. They got good ones.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  4. Alex Coffey

Alex Coffey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Ok thanks that's what I was thinking also but just thought I would ask

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by